November 19, 2014
This week I want to extend a special word of thanks and appreciation to the many volunteers who contributed to the success of our Auction & Casino event. With more than two hundred parents, parishioners and community members gathered for the occasion, it was a wonderful time of fellowship and fund-raising, all for the benefit of our students. Again, I wish to thank Mrs. Carol Rice, auction chair, for orchestrating the many details and committees who worked so tirelessly in the weeks and days leading up to the event. From start to finish, it was a first-class celebration with delicious food, beautiful auction items, a clever photo booth, an entertaining auctioneer, and fun at the gaming tables. One need look no further than the Parish Activities Center on Saturday evening to witness first-hand the vibrant spirit that surrounds our school community! Thank you to everyone who contributed and to those who supported the event through their attendance….and generous bids!
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Pampa’s Fox Catering
FOUR OF A KIND
New York Concrete Corporation
The Cobert Family
John Goldsmith, State Farm Agent
Skyline Concrete Pump
New York Excavation
Tony’s New York Pizza
Mayor Hal Parrish
Annual Bullying Survey
Through our Virtue Program and the full integration of our faith across the curriculum, students at All Saints are encouraged to develop habits of respect, kindness, and compassion. Over the course of years, these traits become embedded and part of the fabric of our students’ lives. Nevertheless, it is vitally important that we explicitly remind our students of the dangers and consequences of bullying.
We now know and recognize that the challenge of bullying in our country is not going to simply disappear. For this reason, our families and Catholic school are called to be counter-cultural, taking a clear stand against these behaviors. It is our responsibility to guide the children in recognizing that each individual is created in the very image and likeness of God. As such, respect and reverence should surround all interactions. Similarly, the complexities and risks associated with technology in the 21st Century are a part of our day to day existence. It remains our responsibility to teach the children how to navigate these information highways, always using technology in a manner that shows respect to one another and God’s creation.
In accordance with our school and diocesan policy, this week I would like to invite all parents to participate in an anonymous, online survey for the purpose of assessing the level of bullying at All Saints Catholic School. We estimate that it should take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete the survey. Students in grades 3-8 will complete a corresponding survey during their computer class beginning next week.
Parents are asked to complete the survey by Friday, December 5th. In advance, we thank you for your participation in our efforts to both assess our current climate and to establish benchmarks for future reference.
- Parent Survey 2014: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CQQJWHX
If perhaps you are wondering what you can do as a parent to further support this initiative, I would offer the following suggestions:
1) Take some time this week to review the topic of bullying with your son/daughter. Help them to understand that the repeated, targeted nature of bullying is very hurtful, often resulting in wounds that last years, and in some cases a lifetime. Help them to understand that all students have a right and expectation to be able to come to school each day to learn in an environment free of fear.
2) Remind your child that, should he/she ever encounter an instance of bullying, it is vitally important that he/she share this information with a faculty or staff member. If for any reason they are uncomfortable doing so, please contact your child’s teacher directly. It is only with this type of information that we are able to take steps to help prevent future occurrences.
3) Spend some time discussing with your child the practical steps that he/she can take to discourage bullying. For example, sharing strategies or even role-playing appropriate responses can help to empower students not to laugh, not to participate, and to take a stand whenever they witness an instance of bullying.
Seeking Long-Term Substitute Music Teacher – March
Congratulations to Mrs. Thompson and her husband as they prepare for the birth of their first child in March. As they continue to make plans for the arrival of their baby, All Saints is now seeking a music substitute available during the spring months. Should you know of any candidates who may be interested in applying, please encourage them to contact the office for more information.
PTO Teacher Conference Day Luncheons
Thank you for the generous response to volunteering and donating to this year’s PTO Teacher Conference Luncheons! Thank you for sharing your time, cooking talents and needed donations in support of this event. The teachers& staff appreciated the lovely luncheons and the thoughtfulness of the parents who so generously contributed.
Volunteers Needed to Help with the Annual Thanksgiving Luncheon
On Monday the 24th, All Saints Catholic School will be holding the Annual Thanksgiving luncheon. Because it is a special day, we will not be able to use the regular Monday volunteer schedule and will need extra volunteers are to come in and help during the lunches. If you are interested and can help on this day, please go to the link listed below and sign up. As always, if you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me via email or at 202-573-1575. Thank you and God bless. Floribel Fleisig
6th Annual Evening with St. Nicholas
All Saints PTO invites you to join us on Friday, December 5, 2104 at 7:00 pm for the 6th Annual Evening with Saint Nicholas.
The evening will begin with an Advent Prayer Service and traditional Advent carols in the church. The “Procession of the Shoes” will again be led by St. Nicholas himself! Fellowship, light refreshments and photo taking opportunities (bring your own camera) with St. Nicholas and Mother Seton will be available afterwards in the PAC.
This very popular community-building event is designed to help us prepare for the Advent season. Once again, we will be collecting donations of new shoes, with the proceeds benefiting House of Mercy. Donation guidelines are: NEW plain colors of tennis shoes- white, blue, black, tan, or brown. No character tennis shoes, please.
DONATIONS AND VOLUNTEERS welcome! *Points for Parents Opportunity* Please consider sharing your time and donations to this wonderful event. Click here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054ca8ac2ba13-join
Thanksgiving Luncheon – Directions for Parents
Parents are asked to arrive and sign in at the front office fifteen minutes prior to their child’s assigned lunch time. After signing in, parents are asked to report directly to their child’s classroom. The homeroom teacher will provide guidance as to when families should begin to report to the cafeteria for the luncheon.
The schedule for the Thanksgiving Luncheon is as follows:
|11:00 – 11:40||Grades 6-8|
|11:40 – 12:20||Grades 4-5|
|12:20 – 1:00||Grades 2-3|
|1:00 – 1:40||Grades K-1|
(Note: Parents attending back-to-back lunch sessions need not wait in line multiple times. Rather, after enjoying lunch with their first child, they may remain seated in the cafeteria where they can watch for their son/daughter in the food service line. Once the child has arrived at the front of the line and has been served, the parent is asked to meet the child there and lead him/her back to the table.)
Order forms for the luncheon are due tomorrow, Thursday, November 20th. We do hope that you will join us for this Thanksgiving tradition!
Thanksgiving Prayer Service & Donations to Bethany Food Pantry
The All Saints Catholic School annual Thanksgiving Prayer Service will be held on Tuesday, November 25 at 9:30 am. In collaboration with the Parish, we will once again be collecting fresh food to benefit the Bethany Food Pantry. All collections will be able to serve approximately 60 families with items to assist them in preparing a Thanksgiving meal. In an effort to evenly distribute our collection among the Thanksgiving meal bags, we are asking for grade-level donations. With the generosity of our school community in
|Pre- Kindergarten||Two (2) Containers of Coffee, Tea, or Juice|
|Kindergarten||Two (2) Cake or Cookie Mixes|
|First||Bag of Fresh Cranberries|
|Second||Package of Stuffing Mix|
|Third||Fresh Asparagus or Green Beans|
|Fourth||Fresh Butternut or Spaghetti Squash|
|Fifth||Fresh Apples, Oranges, or Nuts|
|Sixth||One Large Jar of Gravy|
|Seventh||One Pound Bag of Carrots|
|Eighth||One Two and a Half Pound of Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes|
providing the items below, many families will enjoy a beautiful meal on Thanksgiving Day.
3rd Annual Fund
By now all families should have received the introductory letter and brochure with information regarding the 3rd Annual Fund. Please take a few minutes to consider how you might be able to support us in meeting our goals. You’ll note that all of the funds from the 2014-2015 Annual Fund will be allocated to STEM programs and mobile technology. Through your gifts of time, talent and treasure, we can make this happen for our students now and into the future.
Wednesday, November 19th
– 7th Grade Field Trip to Williamsburg (6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Thursday, November 20th
– Open House (PAC/9:00 a.m.)
– Thanksgiving Luncheon order forms due
Friday, November 21st
– School Mass (8:30 a.m.)
– Enrollment Surveys due
Monday, November 24th
– 2nd Grade Pilgrim & Native American Celebration (10:00 a.m.)
– Thanksgiving Luncheon (see schedule above)
Tuesday, November 25th
– Thanksgiving Prayer Service (9:30 a.m.)
– Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving Holiday
Monday, December 1st
– Advent Prayer Service (gym/8:15 a.m.)
Tuesday, December 2nd
– Dress Down Day – Catholic Schools Care About Catholic Charities Week (sponsored by SCA)
– PTO Executive Board Meeting (7:00 p.m.)
Thursday, December 4th
– 8th Grade High School Placement Test
Friday, December 5th
– School Mass & Virtues Presentation (8:30 a.m.)
– Confessions for Grade 3 (9:30 a.m.)
– Noon Dismissal – DFE Faculty Meeting
– Spirit Event: Chick-fil-A (6:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.)
– Evening with St. Nicholas Prayer Service (Church/7:00 p.m.)
Saturday, December 6th
– Manassas Christmas Parade
- Parent Survey 2014 – https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CQQJWHX
- Volunteers for Thanksgiving Luncheon Sign-Up – http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c044caba72ea1fe3-thanksgiving
- 6th Annual Evening with St. Nicholas Invitation – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/11/Saint-Nicholas-invite-2014.pdf
- Evening with St. Nicholas RSVP – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/news-events/calendar/evening-with-st-nicholas-rsvp-form/
- Evening with St. Nicholas Donations/Volunteer Sign-Up – http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054ca8ac2ba13-join
- Yearbook Cover Contest 2014-2015 – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Yearbook-Cover-Contest-2014-2015.docx
- Thanksgiving Luncheon 2014 Flyer – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=THANKGIVING-LUNCHEON-2014.pdf
- Pilgrim Virtue Sign-Up – www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim