January 8, 2014
Message from the Principal
Happy New Year! I hope that you and your family enjoyed the Christmas holiday and the many opportunities to celebrate the season.
With the start of the New Year, plans are already underway for 2014-2015. As we prepare for our Open House events and registration for the upcoming year, I want to invite you to continue to share your experiences of All Saints with friends, neighbors and colleagues. As the research has shown, the sentiments shared by current parents are the single most effective form of marketing for a school. No doubt, the sense of pride that surrounds All Saints and the abiding sense of community have already compelled many of you to share our story, as evidenced by the growth in our enrollment over the past five years. In advance, thank you for continuing to choose All Saints and for encouraging others to consider the gift of a Catholic education for their children!
Earn up to $400 in Tuition Credit!*
Many of our families initially hear about All Saints through a personal referral from an existing school family. With Open House events scheduled for Thursday, January 16 and Thursday, February 13, we thought now would be the perfect time to remind you about our New Student Referral Program.
Through our New Student Referral Program, your family can receive a $200 tuition credit for referring one new family or a $400 tuition credit for referring two new families!
Here’s how it works:
- The New Student Referral Program is open to all parents or legal guardians with Pre-K through 8th grade students enrolled at All Saints, and teachers and staff from All Saints Catholic School.
- Tuition credit awards will be given for referring new families to the school. To qualify for the incentive, referred students cannot have a sibling currently or previously enrolled at All Saints and the family cannot already be included in the All Saints Prospective Family Database.
- To qualify, referrals must be acknowledged during the initial contact with the school. To receive tuition credit, the Referring Family must ensure that the Prospective Family submits the Referral Form included in the New Student Application Packet.
- All new students must meet standard enrollment criteria.
- Tuition credits will be applied in October for students starting at the beginning of the school year. Credits for students starting through the end of December will be applied one month following the start date of the referred family. Tuition credit for students starting from January – May will be applied in October if the student remains enrolled at All Saints the following school year.
- Families who have paid their tuition in full at the time of their referral, and teachers and staff making referrals, will receive an incentive check equal to the amount of the tuition credit.
*Each All Saints family can be awarded up to two referrals per school year for a maximum of $400 in tuition credit. The Student Referral Incentive Program is subject to review and modification. Interpretation of program parameters will be at the discretion of the Principal.
What to do next:
- Invite your family and friends to attend our January or February Open House so they can hear about our school and see it in action.
- Complete and submit a New Student Referral Form: http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/parents/new-student-referral-program/
- Remind the families you invite to list your name on the Referral Form that will be included in their New Student Application Packet.
Open House for 2013-2014 School Year
All Saints Catholic School will host an Open House for prospective parents on Thursday, January 16th beginning at 9:00 a.m. All parishioners and members of the community interested in learning more about the school are cordially invited to attend. Following a presentation and introduction at 9:00 a.m., tours of the facility will be provided.
Rgistration Schedule for 2014-2015
- Re-Registration for Current Families February 3-14, 2014
- Registration for New Students February 10-28, 2014
(Including siblings for Pre-K & K)
Annual Fund Update
Our Making a Difference, Every Day Annual Fund campaign is underway! We have been receiving gifts of prayer, involvement and financial support, but we are hoping to hear from more members of our school community. As we greet the New Year, we invite you to use this time to recommit to the school through your prayerful discernment and participation in the Annual Fund through gifts of prayer, involvement and financial participation.
· Remember, funds raised through the annual fund will be used for tuition assistance and to provide your child with new opportunities through the purchase of math and science equipment, and the installation of WiFi access in all school classrooms. Funds from last year’s campaign are being used to launch our new Robotics initiative!
· If you are considering making year-end charitable contributions prior to tax season, remember that All Saints is a 501(c)3 organization.
· We are looking for strong participation (through gifts of prayer, involvement and financial commitment) from our teachers/staff and parent community. This will allow us to ask for support from the broader community with the knowledge that the initiative is receiving full support from within.
How Can You Participate?
· Complete a Participation Form – 2013/14 Annual Fund Brochure
· Donate Online – Please note that if you donate online, you will also have an opportunity to add a gift of prayer and/or involvement after submitting a financial gift.
Help All Saints continue Making a Difference, Every Day. Your gift – no matter the size – will help provide for our current students and secure the future of our school. For more information, please contact Janis DeVore at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 366-1645.
*Did you know that you can double or even triple your gift? Many employers offer a Matching Gift Program to maximize your gifts to charitable organizations. Check with your human resources department for details. It’s as simple as enclosing a form from your employer along with your donation. We will do the rest!
Box Tops Success!
Thank you to the many students and parents who continue to save and submit Box Tops. Earlier this week we received a check in the amount of $1,892.28. Thank you for your continued support of this program!
Virtue of the Month ~ Awards Presentation
Congratulations to the following students who received special recognition at our monthly Virtue Ceremony for having exemplified the Virtue of Generosity during December:
Michael Zahorchak (PreK1)
Caroline Tuttle (PreK2)
Lilly Bartoli (PreK3)
Bryce Cooney (K1)
Lizzie Bachman (K2)
Jenna Feltman (1A)
Emma Kate Coleman (1B)
Caroline Gaynord (2A)
Selena Gutierrez (2B)
David Kresge (3A)
Elizabeth Crespo (3B)
Blake Stefonsky (4A)
Zachary Kreitzer (4B)
Kyleah Adesioye (5A)
Jillian Riley (5B)
Laura Cobb (6A)
Padraig DeBruyne (6B)
Alyssa Schnitzer (7A)
Noah Roussel (7B)
Kaitlyn Emmons (8A)
Rachel Dorman (8B)
Prayer of the Month – Prayer for Compassion
O Father, give us the compassion you want us to have and teach us to embrace each other with compassionate arms, no matter what our age, color, history, or belief. Help us to remember that you are Life Itself, and that you are using every one of our unique gifts to bring us together with you once again. Amen.
Virtue of the Month Program ~ Compassion
The following is a list of ways that we will encourage the students to practice the Virtue of Compassion during the month of January.
1) Pray for those people who are hungry or homeless.
2) Give money to the poor box in church from your own allowance.
3) Give food or clothing to those in need.
4) Help at home without being asked.
5) Keep your room neat and orderly to help your parents.
6) Make a pretty card or write a cheerful letter to someone who is sick or in a nursing home.
7) Listen quietly when your friend is upset or angry and needs to talk.
8) Visit relatives, neighbors, or friends that are sick.
9) Include new students in your games. Introduce them to your friends.
10) If someone doesn’t understand a lesson or a game, offer to teach them. Do not make fun of them.
11) Make someone laugh when they are feeling sad.
12) Be kind to everyone you meet.
A Note from the School Nurse – Allergy Parent Support Group
Attention parents & Guardians: If your child or someone in your family has food allergies, please join the Allergy Parent Support Group. We will be meeting in Meeting Room #1 on Monday, January 15, 2014 at 10:00a.m. This group is a place for families to talk about how food allergies have changed their lives, how they cope and a chance to lend support to others. Bring ideas, recipes and share your food allergy stories. Please feel free to contact Mrs. Roth at email@example.com or 703-368-4400 ext 207 with any questions.
NJHS “Souper Sunday”
The National Junior Honor Society and the Student Council Association of All Saints Catholic School will once again be participating in “Souper Sunday”, a collection during all Masses that will benefit House of Mercy. Members of these two organizations will be accepting donations before and after all Masses on January 18th and 19th. This annual collection is a generous gift that we have been able to provide House of Mercy with for many years now. Thank you in advance for your support of this wonderful display of compassion and generosity.
Students of All Saints will be receiving a box of collection envelopes the week of January 13th that they will begin using at our school Mass on January 17th. Students should consider the gift of time, treasure, and talent when they prepare their envelope each week. All donations will directly benefit our sister school in Haiti. Please encourage your child to participate in this program as it is a wonderful way to practice the virtues we experience every day at All Saints.
Recess/Lunch Volunteers Needed
Additional volunteers are needed to assist the school staff supervise students during recess and lunch periods. Training on school rules and food allergy awareness is provided. This is a great way to see your child and their friends during the school day. The following positions are available:
- 11:10 a.m.-1:00 p.m. every other week on Mondays and Thursdays
- 11:40 a.m.-1:00 p.m. every other week on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays
- K1 Helper 12:15-1:00 p.m. every other Tuesday and every Wednesday
- K2 Helper 12:15-1:00 p.m. every other Tuesday
To volunteer or for more information, please contact Holly Crocker at firstname.lastname@example.org. All volunteers must be up to date on their VIRTUS certification.
Science Fair Volunteers Needed
The All Saint’s Science Fair is February 6th in the Parish Activity Center. The Middle School students have been working hard on their projects but many parent volunteers are needed to make the fair a success. All volunteer activities earn points for parents. Even if you don’t have a Middle School student, this is an exciting event you don’t want to miss. The following volunteers are needed: Judges, Breakfast Coordinator, Breakfast Food Donations, Lunch Coordinator, Lunch Food Donations, Set-Up Committee, and Take Down Committee.
Please click on the following link for more information – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Science-Fair-Volunteers-Needed.pdf
Happy New Year from the Spirit Events Committee!
Have you had enough turkey leftovers? How about some yummy chicken? We have our first Spirit Event for 2014 this Friday, January 10th, 2014 @ Chick fil-A on Liberia Ave. from 6:30 a.m. until 9 p.m. Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner and fellowship with friends and your extended All Saints family. Invite a new family to join you. 20% of the proceeds go our beloved All Saints! It’s a noon dismissal day so make a lunch date! Hope to see you all there! Flyer is attached below.
SAVE THE DATE!!! ~ The Running with the Saints 5K
The Running with the Saints 5K will be on Saturday, March 22nd at 8:15 a.m. The Race Starts and Finishes at the front parking lot of All Saints Catholic School. A planning and volunteer information meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 15th at 10:00 a.m. for all interested in helping out. For questions or additional information please contact Joan Coleman at email@example.com or 703-895-9031. Click here to register for the race: http://www.imathlete.com/events/RunningWithTheSaints5k.
Pilgrim Virgin Statue Program ~ Sign up Now to Host Statue in your Home
In keeping with the Holy Father’s Consecration of the world to the Immaculate Heart of Mary last Sunday, All Saints School families are invited to renew their devotion to Jesus through Mary in a special way. There are two Statues of Our Lady of Fatima available to the homes of our school families for weeklong visits. Sign up online at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim.
Those interested in participating are encouraged to sign up for the first available week in order to avoid gaps in the schedule. However, if there is an upcoming event or celebration that is particularly important to your family, i.e. wedding or anniversary, you are most welcome to host the statue during that specific week.
While the statue of Mother Mary is in your home, families are encouraged to pray together either part or the entire 5-decade rosary for the intentions of our school as well as your private intentions. Also, the school has purchased a DVD of “The Day the Sun Danced”, which presents the message of Fatima which was entrusted to three peasant children in Portugal in 1917.
Tuition Assistance Applications for 2014-2015
Applications for Tuition Assistance for the 2014-2015 academic year are now available at the front office. Again this year the Diocese of Arlington has partnered with FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment Company. FACTS has also established an on-line application process that can be initiated through the company website (http://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3Q327)
The due dates for applications and supporting documentation are as follows:
High School January 27, 2014
Elementary School March 17, 2014
NOTE: All families with children enrolled in both high school and elementary school will need to submit an application by the January high school deadline.
Please note that all applications and supporting documentation must be received by FACTS rather than postmarked by the dates listed above. Applications are not complete until FACTS has received all of the supporting documentation. Only those families who are verified by FACTS as having submitted all of the required supporting documentation will be eligible for diocesan tuition assistance.
An overview of the Diocesan Tuition Assistance Program can be found at the following link.
Should you have any questions or concerns about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact a FACTS Customer Care Representative at 1-866-441-4637 or our school office.
Thursday, January 9th
– Enrollment Management Team Meeting (Art Room/7:00 p.m.)
Friday, January 10th
– School Mass (8:30 a.m.)
– National Geography Bee (PAC/10:00 a.m.)
– Noon Dismissal (Faculty Meeting)
– Spirit Activity: Chick-Fil-A
Tuesday, January 14th S
– Seniors’ Luncheon – hosted by 5th Grade
– 2nd Quarter Lock-Down Drill
– VIRTUS Update Training (Art Room/7:00 p.m.)
– PTO Executive Board Meeting – rescheduled (PLC/7:00 p.m.)
Wednesday, January 15th
– 6th Grade Field Trip to Synagogue
Thursday, January 16th
– Open House (PAC/9:00 a.m.)
Friday, January 17th
– Professional Development Day – No Classes
• The Running with the Saints 5K Sign-Up – http://www.imathlete.com/events/RunningWithTheSaints5k
• Pilgrim Virtue Statue online Sign-up – http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim