Message from All Saints Band Director
Mr. Barry Ward
At this time, we are planning to resume band lessons in September. The band picture has changed of course, and will be reconfigured to make it safe for everyone and as effective as possible. Some of the changes are as follows:
Full advanced band rehearsals after school will not take place until it is safe for larger groups.
Tuesdays will again be lesson day, both beginner and advanced, and lessons will have a number of mitigating techniques such as separation of chairs and stands, cleaning between classes, and using the large space in the PAC for lessons.
Additionally, lessons will be organized by cohort and grade level which will create mixed instrument classes.
Rules in band will include a no borrow policy, no touch policy, and music and band folders personally issued as always. A mask on policy will be used during lessons with techniques to include playing underneath or using an improvised mask. Believe it or not, I have experimented with just a slit opening and really had no problems playing the instruments. A band mask should be kept in a paper bag in each student’s instrument case. There will be online information sharing, such as specially composed music for the program.
Let us hope that our students can receive the instruction that they deserve and play musical instruments to give them a richer experience. All students are asked to have and start with the lesson book, Essential Elements, Book 1 and /or 2 by Tim Luetzenhiezer and others. It will be a great time to work on individual skills and not just performance skills. This approach is a better educational model to start a school year, and hopefully performances will develop toward May or even a band trip!
- Garwood Whaley Music Program Registration Form – print and send completed form to the school office or Mr. Ward
- Instrument Demonstration by the U.S. Army Band
- Music and Arts Store – Rental of Instruments and Accessory Recommendations (online)
- Essential Elements Band Book 1 and/or 2 – by Tim Lautzenheiser, and others (see link for cover image)
Dates and Events 2020 – 2021 (Approved)
- Tuesday, September 8 – Demonstrations of Instruments and 1st General Band Meeting (outdoors or PAC)
- Tuesday, September 15 – Parents’ Registration Night and Instrument Rentals at 6:45 PM – Registration for Band
- Tuesday, September T.B.A. – 1st Lessons for Beginner and Advanced, 4th – 8th grade lessons – (PAC)
No after school Advanced Band rehearsals will take place on Tuesday afternoons until deemed safe.
Concerts and Performances 2021
- 1st School and Parent Concert – Tuesday, January 19th – postponed until safe
- Arlington Diocese Honor Bands start rehearsals- February/March – hopefully, but on hold until safe
- Arlington Diocese Band Festival and Assessments (Adv. only) – T.B.D. at Ireton H.S, – hopefully, but on hold
- Diocese Honor Band Concerts (Ireton H.S.) – (T.B.D.) postponed until safe (Ireton H.S.) – hopefully. but on hold
- Spring Trip: Hershey/Lancaster County (if all goes well) – Friday, May 7th – hopefully
- Final School and Parents Concert -Tuesday, May 18th- 7:00 P.M. – hopefully
I appreciate everyone’s support for the All Saints Band Program and look forward to the year ahead.
Mr. Barry Ward
All Saints Band Director