This year, in an effort to provide our students with an enriched learning environment, we have implemented a block schedule for math and science in the middle school on Monday and Tuesday of each week. Subsequently, students attend math and science for one ninety minute session over the course of two days. This arrangement has allowed for more in-depth discussion of concepts, differentiation through small group instruction and additional science labs and experiments. The block schedule concept has also enabled us to slow the tempo of the day for our middle school students, providing them the time to think more deeply about their learning.
As an extension of this initiative and a means to further explore block scheduling for our middle school, we are now in the process of implementing a six week trial during which we will also block schedule math and science on Wednesday and Thursday of each week. I am grateful to Mrs. Bill, Mrs. Woolfrey and Mrs. Cottingham for their initiative and efforts in this regard. While we are not yet in a position to determine whether this is a schedule that we will continue to implement and potentially expand further in the future, we are excited to try this strategy in an effort to advance student learning.
Speaking of learning…Enjoy this VideoChat that highlights our “star readers” from last week’s Gold Medal Reader Celebration!
If you are interested in enrolling another child from your family and have not yet requested forms, please contact Mrs. Joyce D’Eugenio at 703-393-1490 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Application forms for new students are due by Friday, February 24.
HIGH SCHOOL NEWS
Spring Open House at JP the Great
The Spring Open House at John Paul is primarily hosted for grade school children who would like to preview high school, but all are welcome! Join us Thursday, March 16, 2017 from 4 – 6pm. Presentation begins at 4:15pm. Gift with pre-registration! Please click here to register!
Special Events for Middle School Students at JP
All middle school students are encouraged to visit JP to meet our students and coaches and make new friends! There are a number of events coming up! Visit our website for more information, or see links below:
- February 25: 3v3 Basketball Tournament / To find out more and register, please click here! / to pay, please click here! / View event flyer here!
- March 4: Baseball Clinic / For grades 5 – 8 / To find out more and register, please click here! / To pay, please click here! / View event flyer here!
- March 16: Spring Open House / 4-6pm / All are welcome, especially younger students who wish to pre-view high school at JP. Gift with pre-registration! More info here!
- April 8: JP5K Run/Walk for Options / Join us in raising awareness and funds for our outstanding Options Program! More info here!
- May 5 – 7: Beauty and the Beast, performed by JP Drama. For more information, and to purchase tickets, please click here!
Title I Meeting for Parents & Students – March 23rd (New Date!)
Students enrolled in the Title I program and their parents are invited to a special evening event on March 23rd from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. at St. Michael School. (Please note the change of date from March 16th.) Title I staff will host a session entitled Reading Magic at Home: Tips & Tricks. For more details about the event, please see the link below.
Tuition Assistance Applications for 2017-2018
The application for tuition assistance for the 2017-2018 academic year is now available and can be found at the following link.
FACTS Tuition Assistance Application.
The due date for submission of applications and supporting documentation is March 17, 2017.
All applications and supporting documentation must be received by FACTS by the deadline listed above to be considered. Only complete applications will be considered. Late applications will be handled as they arrive and as funds allow.
Families interested in applying for Tuition Assistance for the Pre-Kindergarten program are also invited to complete the FACTS process. Although pre-kindergarten students are not eligible for financial assistance through the diocese, the analysis provided by FACTS will guide the process for determining disbursements from funding through our school and parish.
Friday, February 24th
- School Mass (8:30 a.m.)
- Application Deadline for New Students
Saturday, February 25th
- Diocesan PTO Meeting
- 2nd Grade Jesus Day
Wednesday, March 1st
- Farewell to the Alleluia Prayer Service (PAC/9:30 a.m.)
- Ash Wednesday Mass (10:00 a.m.)
Thursday, March 2nd
- Spirit Event: Skate N’ Fun Zone (6:00-8:00 p.m.)
Friday, March 3rd
- 3rd Quarter Interims
SAVE THE DATE – All Saints School PTO presents Family Bingo Night on Saturday, March 18th at 5:00pm; a flier will be forthcoming.
- Yearbook Order Form
- FACTS Financial Aid APPLICATION
- FACTS Financial Aid Information Flyer 2017-18
- 2017 Running with the Saints 5K – T-Shirt Contest
- 2017 Running with the Saints 5K – Flyer, Registration & Sponsorship Forms
- Pilgrim Virgin Statue: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim