Through the Virtue Program and the full integration of our faith across the curriculum, students at All Saints are encouraged to develop habits of respect, kindness, and compassion. Over the course of years, these traits become part of the fabric of our students’ lives. Nevertheless, it is vitally important that we explicitly remind our students of the dangers and consequences of bullying.
In accordance with our school and diocesan policy, this week I would like to invite all parents to participate in an anonymous, online survey for the purpose of assessing the level of bullying at All Saints Catholic School. We estimate that it should take approximately 5-10 minutes to complete the survey. Students in grades 3-8 will complete a corresponding survey during their computer class.
Parents are asked to complete the survey by Friday, November 4th. In advance, we thank you for your participation in our efforts to both assess our current climate and to establish benchmarks for future reference.
- Parent Survey 2016: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KWS7G5V
If perhaps you are wondering what you can do as a parent to further support this initiative, we would offer the following suggestions:
- Take some time this week to review the topic of bullying with your son/daughter. Help them to understand that the repeated, targeted nature of bullying is very hurtful, often resulting in wounds that last years and in some cases a lifetime. Help them to understand that all students have a right and expectation to be able to come to school each day to learn in an environment free of fear.
- Remind your child that, should he/she ever encounter an instance of bullying, it is vitally important that he/she share this information with a faculty or staff member. If for any reason they are uncomfortable doing so, please contact your child’s teacher directly. It is only with this type of information that we are able to take steps to help prevent future occurrences.
- Spend some time discussing with your child the practical steps that he/she can take to discourage bullying. For example, sharing strategies or even role-playing appropriate responses can help to empower students not to laugh, not to participate, and to take a stand whenever they witness an instance of bullying.
This year our school will also reinitiate the Ambassador Program. The Ambassador Program is a leadership opportunity for 2nd-8th grade students to promote peer to peer reporting of bullying behaviors on campus. Ambassadors are trained to help students “get the help” they need if they are being bullied. They are trained to look and listen: look for bullying situations and get help from an adult and listen to their peers who may need help. A flyer will be sent home explaining how to apply for those students who are interested in participating in the Ambassador Program. There will be monthly meetings and students will lead and participate in anti-bullying week activities in the spring. Should you have any questions about the program, please contact Mrs. Angela Slater, School Counselor, at 703-368-4400 (Ext. 213) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open House for 2016-2017 School Year
All Saints Catholic School will host an Open House for prospective parents on Thursday, November 17 beginning at 9:00 a.m. in Father Kelley Hall. All parishioners and members of the community interested in learning more about our school are cordially invited to attend. Following a presentation and introduction at 9:00 a.m., tours of the facility will be provided. For more information, please contact Mrs. Joyce D’Eugenio, administrative assistant, at (703) 393-1490.
PTO Teacher Conference Day Luncheons
Every year, the All Saints Catholic School PTO holds a luncheon for the teachers, during teacher/parent conference days, to thank them for their hard work, dedication, and continuing perseverance to educate every student every day. This year the luncheons will be held on Monday, November 7th and Tuesday, November 8th. Donations and volunteers make the two-day luncheon a success! Please consider sharing your time, cooking talents and needed donations to this event. The teachers & staff appreciate the lovely lunches and thoughtfulness of the parents who provide this event for them.
Please use the link to sign-up for all donations & volunteer opportunities:
Thank you in advance & God bless you,
One of our cherished traditions at All Saints is the annual Thanksgiving Luncheon, a special meal prepared by the kitchen staff for students, parents, faculty & staff. In an effort to accommodate all of the families who attend and to reduce wait time, we will again be hosting four lunch seatings this year. The schedule for the Thanksgiving Luncheon is as follows:
11:00-11:40 Grades 6-8
11:40-12:20 Grades 4-5
12:20-1:00 Grades 2-3
1:00-1:40 Grades K-1
The arrival process will be the same as prior years with parents reporting directly to their son/daughter’s classroom. There, they will wait with their children, and when called by grade level, report to the cafeteria via the Father Kelley Wing.
So that the kitchen staff may begin planning for the event, please be sure to return your order form no later than Thursday, November 17th. We do hope that you will join us for this Thanksgiving tradition!
Junior Achievement Volunteers Needed
Good morning! This year Junior Achievement’s “season” is from October through April. We’re hoping that if it wasn’t a good fit in previous years then this change can make the program more available than it was before. Classes that currently do not have a volunteer are: K1, K2, 2B, 6B, 8A and 8B. Schedules are coordinated between the volunteer and the teacher so you can choose which dates and times work for your and your teacher. There is a great deal of flexibility between now and April so while we may be in the middle of multiple extracurricular commitments already (fall sports, etc), you can sign up now for class dates during a less stressful time. In you are interested, please feel free to contact me through any of the methods below. Thank you very much for your consideration and I hope that everyone has a great day! email@example.com 571-264-6040(or just PM me on facebook).
CASINO & AUCTION NIGHT 2016!
Curious of what items/services or adventures that will be available for you to bid on at Casino & Auction Night?! We will be updating the All Saints Catholic School Casino & Auction Night event page on Facebook and school website with all of the great things that will be available. Also keep an eye out for some of the items we will be highlighting in the Sentinel.
Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes of your favorite local morning, midday or evening news? If you have, here’s your chance to find out! NBC 4 meteorologist, Mr. Tom Kierein, has generously and happily donated his time to take around a group of 10 to tour their entire NBC facility!
What a cool and educational experience!
Come join the night of fun and fellowship!
Reminder that ticket prices go up November 7th! https://www.mkt.com/all-saints-catholic-church
Box Tops for Education
October 31st will be the deadline for the fall Box Top submission. Please turn in every single box top you can find. Turn in all collection sheets too, even if they are not full. So far, we’ve collected 15,165 box tops for the Oct. 31stsubmission. Go All Saints! Here are the top 4 collection classrooms:
693 – Pre-K1,2 & 3 Mrs. Parriott/Mrs. Rogers
519 – 3A Mrs. Montano
484 – 2B Mrs. Burnett
449 – 1A Mrs. Harrill
Veterans Day Celebration
Join us as our school community honors the commitment of the men and women who have served our country in the United States Armed Forces. We cordially invite all active duty, reserve, former and retired military personnel to attend our school Mass on Friday, November 11th at 8:30 a.m. Following the Mass, there will be a ceremony in the Parish Activity Center and a reception for our honored guests in Father Kelley Hall.
Classroom Activity Fee Reminder
Thank you to those families who have already submitted the Classroom Activity Fee.
If you have not already done so, please return your activity fee to your child’s homeroom teacher no later than tomorrow, October 27th.
Thursday, October 27th
- End of 1st Quarter
- 1st Grade Field Trip to the National Zoo
- Adoration & Benediction (2:15 p.m.)
- PowerSchool Parent Portal Closes at 3:00 p.m.
- Middle School Activity Night (7:00 p.m.) – Cancelled
- 60th Anniversary Planning Committee (7:00 p.m.)
Friday, October 28th
- No School – Diocesan Professional Development Day
Saturday, October 29th
- VIRTUS Training (9:00 a.m.)
Monday, October 31st
- SCA Sponsored Dress-Down Day ($1.00)
- 2nd Grade Pumpkin Day (9:00-11:00 a.m.)
- Penny Bazaar (1:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, November 1st
- Change to Winter Uniforms
- All Saints Feast Day Mass (8:30 a.m.)
- Saints Alive 8th Grade Presentations in the Parish Activity Center following Mass
- Free Ice Cream in celebration of our Feast Day, courtesy of the PTO (Note: There will be no pretzel sales.)
Wednesday, November 2nd
- PTO Executive Board Meeting (PLC/7:00 p.m.)
Friday, November 4th
- 1st Quarter Report Cards Sent Home
- PowerSchool Parent Portal Reopens
- Deadline: Parent Bullying Survey
- THANKGIVING LUNCHEON Letter & Order Form
- 2016 Veterans Day Student Packet
- Grocery Program Letter 2016-2017
- Business Advertising Form from J.M. Gaske Inc.
- Pilgrim Virgin Statue: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim