January 7, 2015
Happy New Year! I hope that you and your family enjoyed the Christmas holiday and the many opportunities to celebrate the season.
Without question, yesterday’s morning arrival was one of the most challenging in recent memory, prompting consideration as to whether it might be more effective for All Saints to make an independent decision in response to inclement weather events. This is a question that arises from time to time, particularly following a difficult call. I remain confident that it is best for us to rely on the extensive resources available to the county in making weather-related decisions. In order to maintain a consistent protocol and sense of predictability, we will continue to adhere to the decisions of the county during and immediately following any weather event. With that said, it is important that parents always defer to their best judgment if they deem that conditions are unsafe, a course of action that many families took yesterday in deciding to remain at home.
As the day came to a close, I spoke with a school parent who shared with me that she has spent her entire life in Prince William County and has never experienced such circumstances. Perhaps that is a good perspective for us to maintain, recognizing yesterday as an anomaly within a process that typically serves us quite well.
With the start of the New Year, plans are already underway for 2015-2016. As we prepare for our Open House events and registration, I want to encourage you to once again share the success story of All Saints with the surrounding community. Research has shown that the sentiments and opinions expressed by current parents are the single most effective form of marketing for a school. I know that the pride that surrounds our school and the abiding sense of community have already inspired many of you to tell your neighbors, friends and colleagues about our program. We thank you for continuing to choose All Saints for your family and for inviting others to consider the gift of a Catholic education for their children!
Earn up to $400 in Tuition Credit!*
Many of our families initially hear about All Saints through a personal referral from an existing school family. With Open House events scheduled for Wednesday, January 14 and Thursday, February 12, we thought now would be the perfect time to remind you about our New Student Referral Program. (See link for form below.)
Through our New Student Referral Program, your family can receive a $200 tuition credit for referring one new family or a $400 tuition credit for referring two new families!
Here’s how it works:
- The New Student Referral Program is open to all parents or legal guardians with Pre-K through 8th grade students enrolled at All Saints, and teachers and staff from All Saints Catholic School.
- Tuition credit awards will be given for referring new families to the school. To qualify for the incentive, referred students cannot have a sibling currently or previously enrolled at All Saints, and the family cannot already be included in the All Saints Prospective Family Database.
- To qualify, referrals must be acknowledged during the initial contact with the school. To receive tuition credit, the Referring Family must ensure that the Prospective Family submits the Referral Form included in the New Student Application Packet.
- All new students must meet standard enrollment criteria.
- Tuition credits will be applied in October for students starting at the beginning of the school year. Credits for students starting through the end of December will be applied one month following the start date of the referred family. Tuition credit for students starting from January – May will be applied in October if the student remains enrolled at All Saints the following school year.
- Families who have paid their tuition in full at the time of their referral, and teachers and staff making referrals, will receive an incentive check equal to the amount of the tuition credit.
*Each All Saints family can be awarded up to two referrals per school year for a maximum of $400 in tuition credit. The Student Referral Incentive Program is subject to review and modification. Interpretation of program parameters will be at the discretion of the Principal.
What to do next:
- Invite your family and friends to attend our January or February Open House so they can hear about our school and see it in action.
- Complete and submit a New Student Referral Form: http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/parents/new-student-referral-program/
- Remind the families you invite to list your name on the Referral Form that will be included in their New Student Application Packet.
Open House for 2015-2016 School Year
All Saints Catholic School will host an Open House for prospective parents on Wednesday, January 14th beginning at 9:00 a.m. All parishioners and members of the community interested in learning more about the parish school are cordially invited to attend. Following a presentation and introduction at 9:00 a.m., tours of the facility will be provided. For more information, please contact Mrs. Joyce D’Eugenio, administrative assistant, at (703) 393-1490.
Registration Schedule for 2015-2016
- Re-Registration for Current Families February 4-20, 2015
- Registration for New Students February 11-27, 2015
(Including siblings for Pre-K & K)
Annual Fund Update
Our Making a Difference, Every Day Annual Fund campaign is underway! We have been receiving gifts of prayer, involvement and financial support, but we are hoping to hear from more members of our school community. As we greet the New Year, we invite you to use this time to recommit to the school through your prayerful discernment and participation in the Annual Fund through gifts of prayer, involvement and financial participation.
- Remember, funds raised through the annual fund will be used for STEM programs and mobile technology.
- We are looking for strong participation (through gifts of prayer, involvement and financial commitment) from our teachers/staff and parent community. This will allow us to ask for support from the broader community with the knowledge that the initiative is receiving full support from within.
How Can You Participate?
- Complete a Participation Form – Annual Fund Brochure
- Donate Online – Please note that if you donate online, you will also have an opportunity to add a gift of prayer and/or involvement after submitting a financial gift.
Help All Saints continue Making a Difference, Every Day. Your gift – no matter the size – will help provide for our current students and secure the future of our school. For more information, please contact Janis DeVore at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 366-1645.
*Did you know that you can double or even triple your gift? Many employers offer a Matching Gift Program to maximize your gifts to charitable organizations. Check with your human resources department for details. It’s as simple as enclosing a form from your employer along with your donation. We will do the rest!
Prayer of the Month – Prayer for Compassion
O Father, give us the compassion you want us to have and teach us to embrace each other with compassionate arms, no matter what our age, color, history, or belief. Help us to remember that you are Life Itself, and that you are using every one of our unique gifts to bring us together with you once again. Amen.
Virtue of the Month Program ~ Compassion
The following is a list of ways that we will encourage the students to practice the Virtue of Compassion during the month of January.
- Pray for those people who are hungry or homeless.
- Give money to the poor box in church from your own allowance.
- Give food or clothing to those in need.
- Help at home without being asked.
- Keep your room neat and orderly to help your parents.
- Make a pretty card or write a cheerful letter to someone who is sick or in a nursing home.
- Listen quietly when your friend is upset or angry and needs to talk.
- Visit relatives, neighbors, or friends that are sick.
- Include new students in your games. Introduce them to your friends.
- If someone doesn’t understand a lesson or a game, offer to teach them. Do not make fun of them.
- Make someone laugh when they are feeling sad.
- Be kind to everyone you meet.
Science Fair Volunteers Needed
The All Saints Science Fair is January 21st in the Parish Activity Center. The Middle School students have been working hard on their projects but many volunteers are needed to make the Science Fair a success. Just a love of science is all that’s needed. All volunteers earn Points for Parents. Even if you don’t have a Middle School student, this is an exciting event you don’t want to miss. Breakfast and lunch will be provided for all volunteers the day of the Science Fair.
- Judges – We need judges to evaluate the scientific efforts of our middle school students. The PAC will open at 7:40 for judges to have breakfast and walk around to see the projects. Orientation starts at 8 am and judging begins shortly thereafter. Judging will finish after lunch about 2 pm. Come join us and see what mysteries of science our students have discovered. Judges are needed in the following categories: Behavioral and Social Sciences, Biochemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Earth and Space Sciences, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Medicine and Health, Microbiology, Physics, and Zoology.
- Breakfast and Lunch Food Donations – Donations such as bagels, cream cheese muffins, breakfast casseroles, fruit salad, yogurt, donuts and orange juice, side salads, and desserts are needed. Donations for breakfast need to be dropped off on Tuesday, January 20th and the lunch needs to be delivered to the PAC by 10 am on Wednesday, January 21st.
- Set Up Committee – Volunteers are needed to help set up the Science Fair Tuesday starting around 8 am but will be needed all day.
- Data Input – Three volunteers needed to input the judges score into the spreadsheets on the computers to generate determine the winners from 8 to 3 on the day of the fair.
- Take Down Committee – Volunteers are needed on Thursday afternoon before carpool to return the PAC to its original state.
If you would like to help with this year’s Science Fair or have any questions, please contact Holly Crocker at email@example.com or (571) 991-0773.
From the Spirit Events Committee
Happy New Year All Saints Family! We hope that you had an enjoyable break and that you are ready for the excitement in 2015. If you are looking to meet up with your All Saints community, then stop by Chick-fil-A on Liberia Avenue on Friday, January 9th, 23rd, and 30th. These are all 12:00 dismissals, so you have some place to take your family for good food and fellowship. We look forward to seeing you there!
HIGH SCHOOL NEWS
Paul VI Catholic School
Families of 7th and 8th grade students are invited the College Night at Paul VI Catholic High School on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 at 7:15 p.m. Learn how PVI can help you navigate the road to college.
For more information, contact Mrs. Battle, PVI’s College and Career Specialist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-352-0925.
Tuition Assistance Applications for 2015-2016
Applications for Tuition Assistance for the 2015-2016 academic year are now available. Again this year the Diocese of Arlington has partnered with FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment Company. FACTS has established an on-line application process that can be initiated through the company website (http://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3Q327)
The due dates for applications and supporting documentation are as follows:
High School January 23, 2015
Elementary School March 16, 2015
NOTE: All families with children enrolled in both high school and elementary school will need to submit an application by the January high school deadline.
Please note that all applications and supporting documentation must be received by FACTS rather than postmarked by the dates listed above. Applications are not complete until FACTS has received all of the supporting documentation. Only those families who are verified by FACTS as having submitted all of the required supporting documentation will be eligible for diocesan tuition assistance.
All supporting documentation can be uploaded in pdf format online. Documentation can also be faxed to 1-866-315-9264 or mailed to the address below. Please be sure to include the applicant ID on all faxed or mailed correspondence.
FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment
P.O. Box 82524
Lincoln, NE 68501-2524
Those families interested in applying for Tuition Assistance for the Pre-Kindergarten program are invited to complete the FACTS process as well. Although pre-school students are not eligible for financial assistance through the diocese, the analysis provided by FACTS will guide the process for determining disbursements from funding providing by our school and parish.
An overview of the Diocesan Tuition Assistance Program can be found at the following link.
Should you have any questions or concerns about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact a FACTS Customer Care Representative at 1-866-441-4637 or our school office.
Friday, January 9th
- School Mass & Virtues Ceremony (8:30 a.m.)
- National Geography Bee (PAC/10:00 a.m.)
- Noon Dismissal – DFE Meeting
- Spirit Event: Chick-fil-A (6:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.)
Wednesday, January 14th
- Open House (9:00 a.m.)
Thursday, January 15th
- Enrollment Management Team Meeting (7:00 p.m.)
Friday, January 16th
- Holiday – Diocesan Professional Development Day
Monday, January 19th
- Holiday – Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday
- Chick-fil-A Flyer ~ January 2015: https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2015/01/2015jan-Chick-Fil-A-with-info.pdf
- Annual Fund Brochure: Annual Fund Brochure
- Diocesan Tuition Assistance Overview – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Diocesan-Tuition-Assistance-Overview-15-16.pdf
- Diocesan Tuition Assistance Overview – Spanish – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Diocesan-Tuition-Assistance-Overview-15-16-Spanish.pdf
- New Student Referral Program Form: New Student Referral Form.
- New Family Open House online registration form: All Saints Open House Registration
- Pilgrim Virtue Sign-Up – signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim