December 3, 2014
This week we have begun our annual journey of Advent, a time of preparation for the celebration of Christ’s birth at Christmas. Amidst all of the joy and activity surrounding the preparations for the season, it is easy for us to lose sight of the fact that Advent is a beautiful season unto itself.
At All Saints we have established several traditions that help to create a tone of anticipation and waiting, in essence a time during which we invite the children to prepare their hearts for the coming of Christ.
- Advent Wreath Prayer Services ~ On Monday morning the students gathered in the Parish Activities Center for a school-wide prayer service highlighting the meaning of the Advent Wreath. During the second and third weeks of Advent, students will gather around three separate wreaths in each of the wings of the school where they will participate in grade level prayer services.
- Sacrament of Reconciliation ~ Each of the students in grades three through eight will have an opportunity to encounter Christ in this beautiful Sacrament of healing and forgiveness. Our parish priests have scheduled sessions during the school day for each of these grade levels over the course of the next several weeks.
- Toys for Tots ~ The Peace & Justice Players will once again sponsor the Toys for Tots drive beginning this week and extending through Monday, December 15th.
A Prayer for Advent ~ Week I
increase our strength of will for doing good
that Christ may find an eager welcome at His coming
and call us to His side in the kingdom of heaven,
where He lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.
Tuition Assistance Applications for 2015-2016
Applications for Tuition Assistance for the 2015-2016 academic year are now available. Again this year the Diocese of Arlington has partnered with FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment Company. FACTS has established an on-line application process that can be initiated through the company website (http://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3Q327)
The due dates for applications and supporting documentation are as follows:
High School January 23, 2015
Elementary School March 16, 2015
NOTE: All families with children enrolled in both high school and elementary school will need to submit an application by the January high school deadline.
Please note that all applications and supporting documentation must be received by FACTS rather than postmarked by the dates listed above. Applications are not complete until FACTS has received all of the supporting documentation. Only those families who are verified by FACTS as having submitted all of the required supporting documentation will be eligible for diocesan tuition assistance.
All supporting documentation can be uploaded in pdf format online. Documentation can also be faxed to 1-866-315-9264 or mailed to the address below. Please be sure to include the applicant ID on all faxed or mailed correspondence.
FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment
P.O. Box 82524
Lincoln, NE 68501-2524
Those families interested in applying for Tuition Assistance for the Pre-Kindergarten program are invited to complete the FACTS process as well. Although pre-school students are not eligible for financial assistance through the diocese, the analysis provided by FACTS will guide the process for determining disbursements from funding providing by our school and parish.
An overview of the Diocesan Tuition Assistance Program can be found at the following link.
Should you have any questions or concerns about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact a FACTS Customer Care Representative at 1-866-441-4637 or our school office.
Virtue of the Month ~ Generosity
During the month of December, students will be encouraged to implement the following strategies:
- Give from your own money to help others in need.
- Give freely of your time without expecting anything in return.
- Ask for forgiveness when you have hurt someone and be willing to forgive them when they hurt you.
- Offer to help someone in class each day.
- Share your supplies with someone who forgot theirs.
- Do something helpful for someone at home without being asked.
- See if others want “second helpings” before taking some for yourself.
- Let someone else in your family choose the movie or television show you will watch together.
- Offer to help an older neighbor with a job like raking leaves or shoveling snow.
- Let another person ahead of you get a drink first at the water fountain.
Prayer of the Month ~ Prayer of St. Nicholas
Loving God, we thank you for the example of St. Nicholas, who fed the hungry, brought hope to the imprisoned, gave comfort to the lost, and taught the truth to all. May we strive to imitate him by putting you first in all we do. Give us the courage, love and strength of St. Nicholas, so that, like him, we may serve you through loving our brothers and sisters. Amen.
All Saints Christmas Pageant
The students of Grades K, 1, 4, 5, and 6 will be participating in the All Saints Catholic School annual Christmas Pageant, The Living Crèche. Over the last several weeks, the students have been preparing songs in music class to help portray this beautiful story. Please note the following information:
Date: Thursday, December 18, 2014
(Grade K, 1, 4, 5 students report to their homeroom by 6:30PM. Grade 6 report to 6th grade rooms by 6:25PM.)
Place: All Saints Catholic Church
Students in Grades K, 1, 4, and 5 are asked to dress in their Christmas Best. Some students in Grade 6 will be in costume (as noted by their character), others will be in Christmas Best. (A separate notification was sent to Grade 6 parents.)
Please contact Mrs. Kathryn Thompson email@example.com with any questions.
Bethany Food Pantry Outreach ~ Many Thanks!
Thanks to the generosity of our students and the leadership of the NJHS, our school donated more than a half tone of fresh food to the Bethany Food Pantry. Members of the NJHS packaged the food into 60 meals for families in our community. Thank you, students, for brightening the holiday for those less fortunate.
Many Thanks from the Library
A big THANK YOU goes out to all parents, students and teachers that supported the recent Scholastic Book Fair! What a great way to have celebrated reading and raise funds for the school library. The medieval theme kept the suspense building as the library was transformed into the Kingdom of Reading! Students entered Castle Readalot through an authentic drawbridge along with knights, dragons and books galore. The final event to close out the busy week was having a royal feast on books during the Thanksgiving Luncheon….so much appreciation for the patience of parents and grandparents waiting in line to purchase books. A special thanks to Mrs. Johanna Catts for coordinating volunteers throughout the week. This fun-filled event could not be accomplished without our devoted All Saints families that graciously donate their time to make the Book Fair a huge success. Your generosity enabled the profits from the Book Fair sales to exceed over $12,000 earning the library $3,000 to spend on books and special school programs.
Open House for 2015-2016 School Year
All Saints Catholic School will host an Open House for prospective parents on Wednesday, January 14th beginning at 9:00 a.m. All parishioners and members of the community interested in learning more about the parish school are cordially invited to attend. Following a presentation and introduction at 9:00 a.m., tours of the facility will be provided. For more information, please contact Mrs. Joyce D’Eugenio, administrative assistant, at (703) 393-1490.
2014 Casino & Auction
The Casino & Auction was an enormous success due to the commitment of a large team of volunteers. Planning for next year will quickly be underway; if you are interested in being a part of the team for next year please email Carol Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org
Labels For Education
Parents…This is the perfect time of year to start collecting soup labels once again. The Labels for Education program is a great way for our school to collect UPCs and beverage/sauce caps from participating products to earn points that can be redeemed for FREE educational merchandise. Simply save the labels, put them into a Ziploc bag and turn them into the school. Thank you for all of your support.
High School News
- St. John Paul the Great Soccer & Music Events for Middle Schoolers: Saint John Paul the Great invites middle school students to participate in their annual 3v3 Soccer Tournament (Jan 10) and their annual Band and Choir Music Festival (Jan 24). For more information about each event, and to register, please visit: http://www.jpthegreat.org/admissions/visiting/special-middle-school-invitations/. Free t-shirt guaranteed to those who register by December 19! Questions? Please email: email@example.com or call 703.445.0218.
- Paul VI Catholic High School invites you to our Live Nativity Sunday, Dec. 7, 2014 from 4 – 5:30pm The miracle of the Christmas Story comes alive and you see and hear the story of Christ’s birth. Families are invited to sing treasured carols with us and feel the magic and love of the season in a very powerful way. Refreshments will be served afterwards in the cafeteria. Dress as a visitor to Bethlehem, Shepherd, or Angel. firstname.lastname@example.org. The Live Nativity flyer is attached
Evening with St. Nicholas ~ Friday at 7:00 p.m.
The 6th Annual “Evening with St. Nicholas” is this Friday, December 5. Join us beginning at 7:00pm in the church. All Saints students in NJHS & SCA will be serving as ushers, greeters, and readers as well as members of the Schola Choir who will be leading the music. Everyone is getting involved!
Please join us for what has become a beautiful tradition here at All Saints. The evening will begin with an Advent Prayer Service and traditional Advent carols in the church. The “Procession of the Shoes” will again be led by St. Nicholas himself! St. Nicholas and Mother Seton will be available for photos (bring your own camera) afterwards in the PAC.
For planning purposes, please visit the “Evening with St. Nicholas” link at http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/news-events/calendar/evening-with-st-nicholas-rsvp-form and RSVP today!
This very popular community-building event is designed to help us prepare for the Advent season. Once again, we will be collecting donations of new shoes, with the proceeds benefitting House of Mercy. Donation guidelines are: NEW plain colors of tennis shoes- white, blue, black, tan, or brown. No character tennis shoes, please.
Thank you to those who have already volunteered to help before or during the event. We can always use help, so go to http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054ca8ac2ba13-join to volunteer your time.
Thank you to those already donating cookies or cocoa for the evening’s refreshments. Donations of cocoa can be dropped off ANY day this week- attention Kate, at the front desk. Cookie donations can be dropped off Friday 8:00am – 12:00pm, at the front desk.
Have a question about volunteering or donations? Contact event chair Kate Bachman at email@example.com
Copies of the 2014-2015 Family Directory were distributed to students in November. In the event that you did not receive one, copies are available at the front office. Also, if you submitted an entry for the Directory and it is not in the publication, please contact the front office by Friday, so that we may include your contact information in an addendum.
3rd Annual Fund
By now all families should have received the introductory letter and brochure with information regarding the 3rd Annual Fund. Please take a few minutes to consider how you might be able to support us in meeting our goals. All of the funds from the 2014-2015 Annual Fund will be allocated to STEM programs and mobile technology.
Thursday, December 4th
– 8th Grade High School Placement Test
Friday, December 5th
– School Mass & Virtues Ceremony (8:30 a.m.)
– Confessions – Grade 3 (9:30 a.m.)
– Noon Dismissal – DFE Meeting
– Deadline: Bullying Surveys Due
– Spirit Event: Chick-fil-A (6:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.)
– Evening with St. Nicholas (Church/7:00 p.m.)
Saturday, December 6th
– Manassas Christmas Parade (10:00 a.m.)
Monday, December 8th
– School Mass – Immaculate Conception Feast Day (8:30 a.m.)
– Confessions – Grade 4 (9:30 a.m.)
Tuesday, December 9th
– Advent Prayer Services (8:15 a.m.)
– Confessions – 8A (9:15 a.m.)
Thursday, December 11th
– Confessions – 8B (9:15 a.m.)
– Enrollment Management Team Meeting (7:00 p.m.)
Friday, December 12th
– School Mass – Our Lady of Guadalupe Feast Day (8:30 a.m.)
- Diocesan Tuition Assistance Overview – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Diocesan-Tuition-Assistance-Overview-15-16.pdf
- Diocesan Tuition Assistance Overview – Spanish – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Diocesan-Tuition-Assistance-Overview-15-16-Spanish.pdf
- PVI Live Nativity Flyer – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=PVI-Live-Nativity-2014.pdf
- Parent Survey 2014 – https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CQQJWHX
- 6th Annual Evening with St. Nicholas Invitation – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/11/Saint-Nicholas-invite-2014.pdf
- Evening with St. Nicholas RSVP – https://allsaintsvaschool.org/news-events/calendar/evening-with-st-nicholas-rsvp-form/
- Evening with St. Nicholas Donations/Volunteer Sign-Up – http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054ca8ac2ba13-join
- Pilgrim Virtue Sign-Up – www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim