June 4, 2014
Message from Our Pastor ~ Fr. Bob
Dear Students, Teachers & Parents,
Thank you for making my 35th anniversary of ordination so special. The school assembly, the video presentation, and the creative and spirited songs by each grade touched my heart. The spiritual bouquets have given me much grace. Thank you for the wonderful golf trip to Chesapeake which I will enjoy this summer. I am overwhelmed by your thoughtful and generous gift. Thanks especially for the love and support you have given me in my priesthood. All Saints School Community is so beautiful and dear to my heart. It is a center of joy and faith in the parish.
Love & blessings,
Message from the Principal
I wish to extend a special invitation to all families to attend the events planned in celebration of Graduation Day. All of the students will gather in the church at 9:30 a.m. on Friday, June 13th to observe the Pass-it-On Ceremony, an annual tradition and prayer service during which the 8th grade students “pass on” their leadership role to the rising 7th grade class as symbolized by the handing on of the 8th grade honor medals. Following a special breakfast for the graduates, at 11:15 a.m. the 8th grade students will participate in the Walk of Honor, a custom by which all of the students in grades K-7 line the hallways and applaud for the graduates as they exit the building for the final time as students. The celebration culminates with a Mass at 4:00 p.m. followed by the Graduation Ceremony and a reception in the Parish Activities Center. I hope that you and your family will be able to join us for some of these special moments as we congratulate our 8th grade students.
Important Reminder: As Graduation will begin at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 13th, there will be a noon dismissal for students in grades K-7. Extended Day services will remain available.
Flynn & O’Hara to Host Exclusive Event for All Saints
School families are invited to attend a special event hosted by Flynn & O’Hara on July 31st from 5:30-8:30 p.m. In order to provide you with a boutique shopping experience and to offer the highest quality service, the store will be open exclusively to members of our community who may also request a specific appointment time.
Giant A+ Proceeds
Thanks to the participation of school and parish families in the Giant A+ School Rewards Program, last week All Saints received a check in the amount of $1,850.22. Thank you to all parents who signed up for the program this year!
Immunization & Health Records Requirements for 2014-2015
To the parents of Pre-K students arriving in Fall 2014:
The State of Virginia requires parents of Pre-K students to submit the following:
1. An immunization form must be in the child’s record by the date of the child’s admission. The first day of Pre-K is Wednesday, September 3rd, 2014.
2. Immunizations must be recorded and dated on either the Health Dept. form (MCH 213F or MCH 213G) or a physician’s form, include the child’s name, and be signed or stamped and dated by a licensed physician, the physician’s designee, or an official of a local health department.
3. For all immunizations a child receives after 7/1/14, the form must contain a statement (typed or handwritten) that the child is adequately immunized.
The current Form MCH213G is available at the following website:
If your child has any chronic health conditions, such as food or substance allergy or asthma, the necessary forms are available under “Education” and the “Parents” portion of the Catholic Diocese of Arlington website. Click on “Forms.” Be sure to submit an Authorization Form for the medication along with the Action Plan for the condition. All medications must be brought in by the parents, not by the child. If a child needs an Epi-Pen, please bring two per prescription dosage recommendations.
To the parents of Kindergarten students arriving in Fall 2014:
A new Physical Exam is necessary, dated less than one year from the time of admission. Kindergarten begins on Monday, August 25th. This Exam should be on, or accompanied by, the Virginia Department of Health form MCH 213G. (See the website above for the form). Tip: Print out the MCH213G and hand it to the physician before the physical exam for this year, if possible, so as to avoid an additional charge to complete it out outside the office visit. The Physical must include all the immunizations required by the Commonwealth of Virginia as indicated by the chart on the following website:
Meal Train for Mr. Redman & Family
A Meal Train was created for Mr. Redman and Family following the birth of their son. If you are interested in signing up, please go to the following Meal Train link: http://www.mealtrain.com/?id=mbmmsn2r2e3t
All Call for PTO Volunteers
Would you like to get more involved with the PTO next year? This is a great way to earn Points for Parents, enhance our school community and meet other school parents. We have positions both big and small!
We have several open positions such as Kindergarten Screening Coordinator, Christmas Parade Chair, Penny Bazaar Coordinator, Pilgrim Statue/Rosary Coordinator. If you are interested in any of these positions or would like to learn more about becoming an Executive Board member, please contact Angela Slater at firstname.lastname@example.org or Janene Shaw at email@example.com.
BoxTops for Education / Campbell’s Soup Labels Update
And the winner is: Mrs. Honkus 5A with 5,477 boxtops/soup lables! Mrs. Montano 3A was a close second at 4,791 boxtops/soup labels…and Mrs. Harrill was quickly closing the gap. Mrs. Honkus’ class will receive a boxtop party!!!
But, we don’t need to stop there. Summer time is the best time to collect boxtops and soup labels. There will be a package going home with the oldest kids at the end of the school year. I encourage all families to contact at least 5 friends/families to help them collect labels. I spoke to one parent whose child submitted 2200 labels! I asked them how they got so many. The mom simply said she contacted her neighbor and asked her for her labels! In no time, All Saints will be the highest boxtop/soup label collecting school! Thank you all.
FACTS Enrollment Process for 2014-2015
All returning families should have received a customized email from FACTS confirming their tuition balance and payment plan for 2014-2015. Similarly, all new families and those who have expressed interested in changing their plan from “Payment in Full by invoice” to a schedule of payments should have received a FACTS “invite” that provides detailed directions for establishing an account. All new families and those enrolling in the system for the first time were asked to complete this process by Friday, May 30th.
The deadline for Payment in Full has been extended to Tuesday, June 10th.
Summer Learning Program
Recognizing that our curriculum during the school year is rigorous and that expectations are high for student learning, there is great value in the children having a respite during the months of summer. On the other hand, studies have shown that students lose ground during the long vacation if not provided an opportunity to keep their skills sharp. With these two perspectives in mind, as in prior years, the teachers have crafted a balanced plan specific for our school. The following is a grade level summary of the Summer Learning Program for 2014.
(Note: Parents should select the summer learning assignments that correspond to the grade that their child will be entering in the fall. For example, a student entering second grade would complete the Summer Book Program for rising 2nd graders. A child entering third grade would complete the assignments outlined below for grades 3-5.)
Grade K Learning Packets: Designed by the Pre-K team, these packets will be distributed to parents.
Grade 1-2 Summer Book: This is a wonderful series that has been used in the primary grades in recent years. It includes diverse activities that target a variety of areas, including reading, math, science, social studies, and religion.
The Summer Book will be due on Friday of the first week of school and credit will be given to all students who complete the work.
Ordering Information: Summerbook Company
305 Lyndale Drive
Hartsville, SC 27804
1-877-684-8502 (Toll Free)
(Note: Order the Summer Book for the grade level that your child will begin in September. For example, students in Kindergarten this year should complete the Summer Book for rising 1st graders.)
Grades 3-5 Math Packet & 2 Accelerated Reader Books
Teachers will distribute math packets that provide reinforcement of skills acquired during this past school year. After reading two Accelerated Reader books, students are asked to complete the corresponding AR tests upon their return to school. These summer assignments will be due Friday of the first week of school and will be considered part of the first quarter participation grade.
Grades 6-8 Students are asked to read selections (one book for grade 6/two books for grades 7 & 8) from the Middle School Summer Reading List and complete one of the corresponding follow up activities for each book chosen. Additionally, teachers will provide Math Packets that focus on skill areas that they have specifically identified for practice and reinforcement.
(Note: A letter from the middle school team and a detailed overview of assignments are included as links to this week’s newsletter and are available for review on our website. A copy of the recommended reading list will be posted on our school website as well.)
Carpool Network 2014-2015
All Saints parent Mr. Jim Griffin has once again volunteered to serve as a carpool coordinator. If you are interested in a carpool for your children, please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org and Mr. Griffin will put you in touch with other families in your area who have expressed an interest in carpooling.
Preferred email contact:
Number of children you need transported:
Number of spaces in your vehicle for transporting others:
Prefer to drive morning or evening, or no preference?
Please be aware that the above information will be plotted on a map with a private URL that is only available to All Saints parents who have expressed an interest in carpooling. The URL will be emailed directly to you and will not be available any other way or discoverable by any search engine.
Recognizing that parents are solely responsible for determining transportation arrangements to and from All Saints Catholic School, the school assumes no role in this process and neither recommends nor endorses any particular carpool arrangements. In the unfortunate circumstance of an accident or injury, the parent’s own personal automobile liability is primary in the event of a claim. Nonetheless, the school values the collective efforts of parents and is pleased to support this initiative by communicating the opportunity to parents.
Room Liaison Selection Process ~ Revised for 2014-2015
All Saints will have a new Room Liaison selection process next year that will attempt to address some parent concerns with the process as it is now. A subcommittee of the PTO, with support from the administration, worked to update our current selection process.
- Parents who are interested in being a room liaison next year will fill out a short application, with their classroom choice (1st, 2nd, etc. if you have more than one student).
- Applicants for each class will be selected in random drawings, alternates will be drawn if necessary.
- Each class will have two liaisons who will assist the teacher with communications and classroom activities. For activities that need more volunteers, of course, all interested classroom parents will have an opportunity to volunteer
- Each liaison will be eligible for 60 Points for Parents.
- Applications will be available at the front office at the beginning of the school year. Deadlines to be announced during our return to school. Liaison selection will be completed in the first couple weeks of school.
- We hope this streamlined process will keep complications to a minimum and match liaisons with their classes quickly.
Please contact Angela Slater at email@example.com if you have any questions about our new selection process. I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of our current room liaisons for your dedication and commitment to assisting your classroom teachers and ensuring all of the classroom activities this year were successful for the children. Wonderful job! A special thank-you to Katherine Mills our Room Liaison Coordinator for all of her hard work to support both liaisons and teachers throughout the year.
End of Year Information
Cafeteria Program – End of Year Reminders
As we are approaching the end of the school year, please note that we will not allow any lunches to be charged
during the month of June. At this time, you may purchase more lunches/drinks in advance, or when your balance has expired, you may pay on a daily basis. If you do have monies on account, please make sure that it is used before the end of the school year as we do not give refunds. Please call the cafeteria at 703-368-4400, ext. 211, if you have any questions or concerns.
School Supplies Program
Please order by returning this form along with your payment by June 23, 2014.
Make Checks Payable to: ALL SAINTS CATHOLIC SCHOOL
ORDER SECURELY ONLINE
Starting Now until June 23rd
1. Go to www.epipacks.com, sales tax will be added at checkout
2. Enter your School ID, ALL088
3. Be sure to select the correct supply package for the grade level that your child will be entering in
4. Follow the directions to complete your order
5. Keep your online confirmation as your receipt.
The School Supply packages do not include special items such as seat sacks, back backs, party favors, or special pencils/pens or markers for AR prizes (Grades 2- 6), pillow case (Pre-K), and black sock (Grade 4).
Consult the School Supply list for special Items required by each grade. Seat Sacks are ordered by the school for an additional charge.
School supplies will be available in the child’s classroom.
For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Extended Day Program
Extended Day services will continue the next three and a half weeks and be available before and after school through Tuesday, June 17th. There will be no Extended Day Program on Wednesday, June 18th. All students will dismiss at 10:30 a.m. following the Closing Mass & Awards Ceremony. Please make arrangements for your children to be picked up if you anticipate being unavailable at that time.
Report cards and awards will be issued on the final day of school, June 18th. Since the office will have a record of your child’s final grades at the close of the year, you may retain these cards.
All medications must be picked up from the clinic no later than Tuesday, June 17th. Since students are not authorized to carry medication, it is necessary for parents to visit the clinic to pick up medications prior to the close of the year. Medications remaining after the final day will be discarded.
Summer Office Hours
The school office will remain open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. during the months of June and August. The office will be closed during the month of July. The office will reopen on Tuesday, August 5th. Should you need to contact school personnel during the summer months, please do not hesitate to leave a message on the answering machine. We will make every effort to return your call in a timely manner.
Dive Into Books
Get a Jump Start on Summer Reading! All Saints teams up with Barnes and Noble for a Summer Book Fair!!!
Summer reading is in the air and again this year the All Saints School Library will host an exciting Pre-Summer Book Fair at the Barnes and Noble store in Manassas on Saturday, June 7th. Join Mrs. Coyle and Mrs. Geary as they dive into books to get you on the big wave of reading for the summer. The library staff will be there from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm to greet and meet! Also, the All Saints displays will be available in the Barnes and Noble store all day long! Bring the attached printed flyer or tell the cashier at the store that you are from the All Saints School or parish because a percentage of the net sales will be contributed to the school.
If you are busy on Saturday and cannot attend the Book Fair at Barnes & Noble store….simply go online and use the All Saint Book Fair ID number when you checkout. The Book Fair online dates will be 6/7/14 and will extend to 6/12/14.
Enter the following: BN.COM/bookfairs
Wednesday, June 4th
- Planning for High School -7th Grade Parent Q & A Session with Mrs. Slovenkay (3:30-6:00 p.m.)
- Parent Portal Closes at 3:00 p.m.
Friday, June 6th
- School Mass & Virtues Ceremony (8:30 a.m.)
- Race for Education Pizza Lunch, Awards Ceremony & Classroom Movie Celebration
- 7th & 8th Grade Skate Party in the Gym (6:30-8:30 p.m.)
Saturday, June 7th
- Barnes & Noble Book Fair (9:30-12:30)
Monday, June 9th
- Golf Tournament – Evergreen Country Club
- Gold Medal Readers Celebration (1:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, June 10th
- Seniors Luncheon – hosted by 5th Grade
- Payment in Full Deadline for FACTS Tuition (2014-2015)
Wednesday, June 11th
- 2nd Grade Field Trip to the Basilica
- 8th Grade Ice Cream Social
Thursday, June 12th
- 8th Grade vs. Faculty Volleyball Game (2:00 p.m.)
Friday, June 13th
- Graduation Day
- Pass it On Ceremony (church/9:30 a.m.)
- Graduation Breakfast – students only (10:00 a.m.)
- Walk of Honor (11:15 a.m.)
- Noon Dismissal for Grades K-7
- Graduation Mass & Ceremony (church/4:00 p.m.)
• Pre-Packaged School Supply Packets Order Form – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=SchoolSupplyPks14-15.pdf
• All Saints Catholic School 2014-2015 Supply List – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=SUPPLIES-LIST-14-15.pdf
• Middle School Summer Reading Cover Letter – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Summer-reading-Cover-Letter-2014.pdf
• Middle School Summer Reading Program Information – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Summer-Reading-Program-2014.pdf
• Barnes & Noble Book Fair Flyer – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=BN-BOOKFAIR-FLYER-11×17-Color-2.pdf
• Anti-Bullying Survey – https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BWQDL6W
• Golf Tournament Brochure – 2014 All Saints Parish Golf Tournament brochure
• Golf Tournament Website – www.allsaintsgolf.com
• Annual Fund Brochure – 2013/14 Annual Fund Brochure
• Annual Fund Online Donations – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/alumnidevelopment/annual-fund/
• Pilgrim Virtue Statue Sign-Up – http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim