May 7, 2014
Message from the Principal
Tomorrow all students will participate in the 9th Annual Race for Education. As the largest fundraiser for our school community, the Race provides important financial support for initiatives that would otherwise be beyond our reach.
The following is a list of important reminders for all students and parents regarding the event.
1) All students in grades K-8 are asked to wear their P.E. uniforms to school on Thursday. Students enrolled in the Pre-K are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing appropriate for running.
2) While all students will be participating in the Race for Education activities, only those students who brought in sponsor names or a flat donation will be eligible for prizes.
3) Students need not bring water bottles to the Race for Education. Two water stations will be available to students throughout the race.
4) Students who are absent on Thursday will be able to run a later date.
5) Lunch will be served in the cafeteria at the regularly scheduled time.
Parents, relatives and friends are cordially invited to attend the event as a sign of support for all of our student runners. We hope that many of you will be able to join us for a wonderful day of fun and fellowship!
The following is the schedule for this special event:
|Grades Pre-K, K, 1 & 2||8:45a.m. – 9:45 a.m.|
|Grades 3-5||10:15 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.|
|Grades Pre-K3 & 6-8||1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.|
Prize Cards have been distributed to students who met the criteria and may be redeemed according to the following schedule:
|Wednesday, May 7th||Dress-Down Day Option|
|Tuesday, May 13th||Dress-Down Day Option|
|Wednesday, May 21st||Dress-Down Day Option|
|Thursday, May 29th||Dress-Down Day Option|
|Tuesday, June 3rd||Dress-Down Day Option|
Students may redeem pretzel and ice cream cards on regularly scheduled purchase days beginning this week and extending through the month of May.
As of today, the counting team has already processed $24,023 in donations and more contributions continue to arrive in the school office each day! Thank you to all students, parents, relatives and friends of our community for your steadfast support!
Prayer of the Month ~ Peace Prayer
Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.
Lord, let me help sad people be happy.
Let me forgive those who hurt me.
And let me bring your love to all.
Virtue of the Month ~ Peacemaking
To foster the virtue of peacemaking, we will encourage the students to adopt the following practices:
- Be kind to all you meet today.
- Make peace with others at the end of the school day.
- Stay calm no matter what happens to you today.
- Say part of St. Francis’ Peace Prayer to yourself today.
- Apologize the minute you know that you have offended someone.
- Do an extra act of kindness for your family tonight.
- Take care of your family pet without complaining.
- Make peace with family members before going to sleep.
- Be a peacemaker. Calm your friends while playing games.
- Greet your neighbor politely.
- Say a prayer for peace throughout the world.
Key Dates & Holidays for 2014-2015
The following is the schedule of holidays for the upcoming academic year. Additionally, there will be a noon dismissal on the first and third Friday of each month in order that the faculty may complete a comprehensive self-study document as part of the Design for Excellence re-accreditation process.
|August 25th||First Day of School (Noon Dismissal)|
|September 1st||Labor Day Holiday|
|October 13th||Columbus Day Holiday|
|October 31st||Professional Development Day (No School)|
|November 10th||Parent/Teacher Conferences (No School)|
|November 11th||Parent/Teacher Conferences (Noon Dismissal)|
|November 25th||Noon Dismissal for Thanksgiving|
|November 26-28th||Thanksgiving Holiday|
|December 22nd||Christmas Holiday Begins|
|January 5th||Classes Resume|
|January 16th||Professional Development Day (No School)|
|January 19th||Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday|
|February 16th||Presidents’ Day Holiday|
|March 16th||Professional Development Day (No School)|
|April 2nd||Holy Thursday (Noon Dismissal)|
|April 3rd||Good Friday Holiday|
|April 6th||Easter Week Holiday|
|May 22nd||Noon Dismissal – Memorial Day Weekend|
|May 25th||Memorial Day Holiday|
|June 16th||Last Day for Grades 1-7 (Tentative)|
Student Art Work Selected for Exhibit
Congratulations to Christopher Kleha (8th Grade) and Bridgette Magee (4th Grade) whose art work has been selected to appear in an exhibit from May 6-18 at John Paul the Great High School. Additionally, the Sacred Heart Mosaic created by the 6th grade last year will also be included in the show. The exhibit is a celebration of the canonization of Pope John Paul II and will include a number of festivities, all of which are listed on the high school website.
Field Day ~ May 19th
Field Day for Grades K-8 will take place on the grounds of Linton Hall School in Bristow on Monday, May 19th. Mark your calendars now for what promises to be a great day of activities and fellowship for our school families.
A payment form for lunch is included as a link to this week’s newsletter.
Spotlight on the Arts Summer Camps this July in Theatre & Art
Early Bird Registration through May at www.SpotlightSummerCamps.com
Camps in the arts for high school, middle, elementary & rising kindergarten, these Theatrical & Artistic one week camps are taught by area Catholic professionals involved in arts education and performance. Directed by All Saints Youth & Theatre Ministry Director, Rob Tessier, Spotlight on the Arts features Camp Broadway, Drama Bootcamp, Arts & Crafts Fun Camp, Art Explorer Camp, and Creative Kids Everything Camp. Camp locations in Manassas & Vienna. Camp & Instructor descriptions are at www.SpotlightSummerCamps.com
Thursday, May 8th
- 9th Annual Race for Education (see schedule above)
Friday, May 9th
- School Mass & Virtues Ceremony (8:30 a.m.)
- 2nd & 8th Grade Prayer Service (2:15 p.m.)
- 8th Grade Confirmation (7:00 p.m.)
Monday, May 12th
- Special Student Assembly (PAC/1:30 p.m.)
Tuesday, May 13th
- Seniors’ Luncheon – hosted by 4th Grade
- Race for Education Dress Down Day Option
- First Communion Group I Rehearsal (6:00 p.m.)
Wednesday, May 14th
- SCA Speeches & Election
Thursday, May 15th
- Spring Choral Concert (PAC/7:00 p.m.)
- Enrollment Management Team Meeting (Art Room/7:00 p.m.)
Friday, May 16th
- Band Trip to Hershey Park (5:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.)
- Noon Dismissal – Professional Development for Faculty
Saturday, May 17th
- 8th Grade Algebra Exemption Exam Practice Session (9:00-10:30 a.m.)
- First Communion Group I (10:00 a.m.)
- FIELD DAY FLYER – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Field-Day-Flyer-2014.pdf
- Golf Tournament Brochure – 2014 All Saints Parish Golf Tournament brochure
- Golf Tournament Website – www.allsaintsgolf.com
- Annual Fund Brochure – 2013/14 Annual Fund Brochure
- Annual Fund Online Donations – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/alumnidevelopment/annual-fund/
- Pilgrim Virtue Statue Sign-Up – http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F084CAEAB22A02-pilgrim