March 12, 2014
Message from the Principal
Every six years All Saints Catholic School participates in a re-accreditation process called the Design for Excellence. Beginning in August, the faculty and staff will begin the self-study project, an effort through which we will produce a comprehensive document that details all aspects of our program, including faith formation, curriculum, leadership, personnel, facilities, finances, services and demographics. Following the completion of this process, a team comprised of eight educators will visit our school next spring to determine our accreditation status and to offer both commendations and recommendations for our future.
In order that the faculty may have the time necessary to complete the self-study project and prepare for the visit, there will be one additional noon dismissal per month next year. Although the calendar is still under development for 2015-2016, I wanted to provide this information to you at this time so that you might anticipate this change for next year.
As we begin to prepare for the self-study project, I will continue to keep you apprised of our efforts as well as the opportunities that you will have to participate in the process.
CYO Basketball Season Results
Congratulations to all of the coaches and students who participated in the CYO sponsored basketball program this year. The following is a list of the standings at the end of the diocesan-wide tournament. Thank you to all of the players and coaches for representing our school so well, both on and off of the court.
8th Grade Boys (Coaches: Mr. Magee and Mr. Waddy) – Champion
8th Grade Girls (Coaches: Mr. and Mrs. Kreitzer) – 3rd Place
7th Grade Boys (Coaches: Mr. Lewandowski and Mr. Waddy) – Champion
7th Grade Girls (Coaches: Mr. Carter and Mr. Orsi) – Champion
6th Grade Boys (Coaches: Mr. Dupree and Mr. Ramos) – 2nd Place in Regular Season
6th Grade Boys (Coaches: Mr. Mills and Mr. Short) – 4th Place
6th Grade Girls (Coaches: Mr. and Mrs. Seigel) – 4th Place in Regular Season
5th Grade Boys (Coaches: Mr. Hogan and Mr. Malone) – 3rd Place in Regular Season
Terra Nova Testing Countdown ~ 4 Weeks!
As the week of standardized testing approaches, parents are asked to avoid scheduling appointments from Monday, April 7th – Tuesday, April 15th so that each student may participate in the testing as scheduled.
Professional Development Day ~ No School on Monday, March 17th
On Monday, March 17th our teachers will participate in a diocesan-wide day of professional development. For this reason, there will be no classes or Extended Day Program that day.
Running With The Saints 5K – March 22nd at 8:15 a.m.
It’s not too late to sign up for the 5K race! We have GREAT prizes including gift cards from local restaurants and stores. You can sign up online at www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=18786 – or fill out a paper registration and return to the school office.
– Congratulations to our T-shirt Contest winner – GABE SHORT! His artwork will be featured on the Running With The Saints 5K t-shirts this year. Congratulation also to our runners up: Emma Switzer and Rachel Chiramel. A big thank you to all the students who participated this year!
– We also need VOLUNTEERS to help out with the race. Please sign up to help at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0C4BAEA728ABF58-running
9th Annual Race for Education
There are two opportunities coming up to help with the race and earn points for parents.
- On March 24th, 25th, & 26th we will gather after school, in Meeting Room 2 from 3 – 5 pm to prepare the mailers before they are mailed. All parents are welcome to help on any of these days to earn points for parents. Please sign up through our Volunteer Spot link. Click the following link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/Z9Hzsq
All 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students can earn service hours by helping any of these days. Permission slips will be sent home this week and a link is provided below. They need to be returned to the front office by Friday, March 21, 2014.
- The Race for Education will begin its Record Keeping phase the week of March 31st. Anyone interested in volunteering should sign up through our Volunteer Spot link. Click the following link to go to our invitation page on VolunteerSpot: http://vols.pt/Dktfukk
If you have any question please feel free to email Marjorie Collins at email@example.com .
Spirit Event ~ Captain Pell’s Crab House
Are you tired of grilled cheese, spaghetti with no meat, and cheese pizza? Well, come over to Captain Pell’s Crabhouse and enjoy some great seafood! Let some of your favorite teachers help you kick the Friday humdrum. They will be serving up the best on March 28th. You can choose to eat in or carryout at this great kid-friendly establishment. Simply mention that you attend All Saints Catholic School and 15%of your purchase will be donated to our school! What a delicious way to give back during the Lenten season. Let’s come together and give back to our great school. See you all there!
Uniform Closet Update / Volunteers Needed!
Gather your old uniform items together. On Friday March 14th, we will be collecting uniforms for credit in the gym lobby from 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Volunteers are needed to set up tables, receive items and help put everything away afterward. This is a great opportunity to earn points and a good time to start thinking about what items you will need for Spring, please send any requests to our link on the website or to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Youth Ministry Annual Mulch Sale 2014
Need Mulch? Mulch orders are still being taken. We have 1,000 bags of mulch that still need to be sold. Orders over 12 bags will be delivered if ordered by 8 pm tonight, Wednesday, March 13th. Other orders will be available for pick up from the church parking lot on Saturday between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. Order and pay online at www.allsaintsyouthministry.org/mulch. For more information please contact Mrs. Cathy Sledz at 703 393-2141 ext 246.
School parents have volunteered to make DVDs from pictures of this school year for the following classes: PreK, Kindergarten, 1A, 2A, 2B, 4A, 4B, 6A, 6B, 8A and 8B. If anyone from the other classes is interested in learning how to make the class DVDs from pictures set to music, there will be a free training session this Friday from 10:30 am to noon in Haymarket. Come see how fun it is to capture these school memories and to create a special keepsake for your child’s class. Limited knowledge of computers and photography needed. Please contact Holly Crocker at email@example.com for more information.
2nd Annual Kid Stuff Sale
Please join us for our 2nd Annual Kid Stuff Sale sponsored by the MARCH homeschoolers and the K of C Squire Roses to benefit MARCH & AAA Women for Choice on Saturday, March 22, from 8-12 at the George Brent Council Knights of Columbus Hall, 9290 Stonewall Rd. Manassas. Maternity, infant, child, and teen clothing, shoes, baby equipment, furniture, toys, books, and more will be priced to sell! We are also gratefully accepting tax-deductible donated items from those who want to support this worthy cause. Please contact Mary Lewandowski, firstname.lastname@example.org or at 703-335-7471 or Kelley Witter, email@example.com or at 703-257-5619 for more information. (Any remaining merchandise will be given to a charitable organization)
High School News
JP Open House, Thursday, March 13 –All are welcome to attend John Paul’s Spring Open House on Thursday, March 13, from 4 – 6pm. A brief presentation will begin at 4:15. For more information, please click here, or visit www.jpthegreat.org.
JP Spring Training for Grades 5 – 8 – JP the Great is offering their annual Spring Training Baseball Clinic for players in grades 5 – 8 on March 29th from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Under the direction of Varsity Head Coach Bob Czekaj, athletes will learn the fundamentals of hitting, throwing, and fielding over the course of the day. For more info, and to register, please email Bob.Czekaj@jpthegreat.org or CLICK HERE.
JP Art Exhibit – Call for Entries – On April 27, 2014, Pope John Paul II, will be officially elevated to Sainthood during his canonization in Rome. As part of the celebrations at Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School, there will be an art exhibit honoring Pope John Paul II. Artists of all ages are invited to submit their original works by March 15, 2014. For more information, including the exhibit prospectus, please visit www.jpthegreat.org or click here.
PVI – Catholic Schools Spring Break Camp 2014 – Meg Ashley, head coach for the girls soccer program at Paul VI High School would like to make you aware of an exciting new opportunity to further expand the soccer development of Northern Virginia players and generate interest of any potential future female PVI student-athletes. In addition to the summer soccer camp in July, they are planning to add a new camp this spring for any interested for 3rd through 8th graders. Unlike the summer camp, this camp is designed to provide specific instructional training for girl’s who may be interested in continuing to play soccer at the high school level. The NEW CATHOLIC SCHOOLS SPRING BREAK CAMP 2014 take place the week of spring break, April 21st -25th, from 9am-Noon each day. Training will be provided by the coaching staff at PVI, head coach Meg Ashley and the new assistant varsity coach, Kurt Gordon. The cost of the camp is $175 per player for the 5 days; but they will offer prorated cost of $105 for 3 days. Attached is a copy of the NEW CATHOLIC SCHOOLS SPRING BREAK CAMP 2014. For questions regarding any of the camps please contact: Meg Ashley, Head Coach/Girl’s Soccer, Paul VI Catholic High School at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-216-3411 (C).
Tuition Assistance Applications for 2014-2015
The due date for submitting an application for tuition assistance for the upcoming year is Monday, March 17th. A copy of the on-line application can be found at http://online.factsmgt.com/signin/3Q327
Please note that all applications and supporting documentation must be received by FACTS rather than postmarked by the dates listed above. Applications are not complete until FACTS has received all of the supporting documentation. Only those families who are verified by FACTS as having submitted all of the required supporting documentation will be eligible for diocesan tuition assistance.
Should you have any questions about the application process, please do not hesitate to contact a FACTS Customer Care Representative at 1-866-441-4637 or our school office at 703-368-4400.
Lenten Rosary for Parents
Get your Lent off to a strong start by praying a weekly rosary with Mrs. Linda White and other All Saints School parents in the church. Please join us each Wednesday of Lent at 2:30 in front of the large marble statue of Mary and in the presence of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. As individual families and a school community we have many intentions, our children, their teachers, our parish and priests, to name only a few, to pray for. We hope to see and pray with many of you in the coming weeks.
Thursday, March 13th
– CYO 8th Grade Challenge Cup (Gym)
4:30 p.m. Girls Game
5:15 p.m. Boys Game
– Enrollment Management Team Meeting (Art room/7:00 p.m.)
Friday, March 14th
– School Mass (8:30 a.m.)
– Confessions – 4th Grade (9:30 a.m.)
– Uniform Exchange Drop-Off (Gym vestibule/2:00-4:00 p.m.)
Monday, March 17th
– Holiday – Professional Development Day
– FACTS Tuition Assistance Application Deadline
Tuesday, March 18th
– SCA sponsored St. Patrick’s Dress Down Day ($1.00/green, yellow and white colors) See link for details.
Wednesday, March 19th
– Confessions – 5th Grade (9:15 a.m.)
– St. Joseph Feast Day Celebration – Middle School (see link for details about this tradition)
– Stations of the Cross – Grades K-2 (2:00 p.m.)
Friday, March 21st
– School Mass (8:30 a.m.)
– Confessions – 6th Grade (9:30 a.m.)
– 8th Grade Confirmation Retreat begins
Saturday, March 22nd
– Running with the Saints 5K (8:15 a.m.)
- St. Patrick’s Day Dress Down 2014 – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=St-Patricks-Dress-Down-Day-2014.pdf
- History of the St. Joseph Altar – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=st-joseph-altar-information.pdf
- Prayer Penny Week 2014 – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Prayer-Penny-Week-2014.pdf
- Race for Education Volunteer Hours Form – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Mailer-prep-volunteer-flier-5.pdf
- Captain Pell’s Crabhouse – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/03/CaptainPells2014-3-28.pdf
- Annual Fund Brochure – 2013/14 Annual Fund Brochure
- Annual Fund Online Donations – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/alumnidevelopment/annual-fund/
High School Links
- JP the Great MS Baseball Spring Training – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=MS-Baseball-Camp-Flyer.pdf
- JP the Great Varsity Baseball Schedule – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Baseball-Schedule-2014.pdf
- NEW CATHOLIC SCHOOLS SPRING BREAK CAMP 2014 – http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=Soccer-Girls-Spring-3-11-14-Camp-Flyer.pdf