On Monday morning class representatives from grades 4-8 participated in the 2nd Annual Catholic Challenge Cup, an academic style competition that highlights our students’ knowledge of their faith. Once again, it was a great joy to witness the enthusiasm that the students demonstrated for the event and their support for one another. Where else but in a Catholic school can one observe hundreds of young people cheering one another on as they celebrate their knowledge of Church doctrine! Congratulations to Mussie Adiamseged (6B), winner of the competition, and to Emma Downes (7A), who placed second!
The end of year festivities will continue throughout this week and through the final days of school. For details about all of our special celebrations, please see the upcoming events listed below.
I wish to extend a special invitation to all families to attend the events planned in celebration of Graduation Day. All of the students will gather in the church at 9:30 a.m. on Monday to observe the Pass-it-On Ceremony, an annual tradition and prayer service during which the 8th grade students “pass on” their leadership role to the rising 7th grade class as symbolized by the handing on of the 8th grade honor medals. Following a special breakfast for the graduates, at 11:15 a.m. the 8th grade students will participate in the Walk of Honor, a custom by which all of the students in grades K-7 line the hallways and applaud for the graduates as they exit the building for the final time as students. The celebration culminates with a Mass at 7:00 p.m. followed by the Graduation Ceremony and reception in the gym. I hope that you and your family will be able to join us for some of these special moments as we congratulate our 8th grade students.
Flynn & O’Hara to Host Exclusive Event for All Saints
School families are invited to attend an In-Store Trunk Show hosted by Flynn & O’Hara on June 25th from 5:00-9:00 p.m. In order to provide you with a boutique shopping experience and to offer the highest quality service, the store will be open exclusively to members of our community who may also request a specific appointment time. Additional details regarding this event as well as order forms can be found by following the link attached to this week’s newsletter.
Brown Bag Lunch Day ~ Monday, June 10th
Since the cafeteria staff will be cooking breakfast for the 8th grade class and preparations will be underway for the evening reception, there will be no cafeteria services on Monday. All students are asked to bring both a lunch and drink to school.
All Saints Parish 2013 Golf Tournament
With the less than three weeks away, now is the time to register to golf in the tournament, sponsor a hole to promote your business (only $100), or place a business card ad in the program for $50. All proceeds from the tournament will support youth-centered programs at the school and parish. The tournament will be held on Monday, June 24th at Evergreen Country Club with tee-off at 10:00 a.m. Come for a great day of golf chock full of opportunities to win prizes, including first, second and third place team prizes, closest to the pastor, longest drive, putting contest, blackjack contest, and a $10,000 Hole-in-One prize! Signup today!!
Register online or print our 2013 Golf Tournament Sponsor/Golfer Registration Formhttp://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/06/2013_Golf_Brochure_BULLETIN.pdf .
Giant A+ Proceeds
Thanks to the participation of school and parish families in the A+ Program sponsored by Giant Food, last week All Saints received a check in the amount of $1,936.81. Thank you to all parents who signed up for the program this year!
Race for Education Update: As of yesterday, the counting team has already processed $49,035.50 in donations and more contributions continue to arrive in the school office each day!
Immunization & Health Records Requirements for 2013-2014
To the parents of Pre-K students arriving in Fall 2013:
The State of Virginia requires parents of Pre-K students to submit the following:
- An immunization form must be in the child’s record by the date of the child’s admission. The first day of Pre-K is Wednesday, September 4th, 2013.
- Immunizations must be recorded and dated on either the Health Dept. form (MCH 213F or MCH 213G) or a physician’s form, include the child’s name, and be signed or stamped and dated by a licensed physician, the physician’s designee, or an official of a local health department.
- For all immunizations a child receives after 7/1/13, the form must contain a statement (typed or handwritten) that the child is adequately immunized.
The current Form MCH213G is available at the following website:
If your child has any chronic health conditions, such as food or substance allergy or asthma, the necessary forms are available under “Education” and the “Parents” portion of the Catholic Diocese of Arlington website. Click on “Forms.” Be sure to submit an Authorization Form for the medication along with the Action Plan for the condition. All medications must be brought in by the parents, not by the child. If a child needs an Epi-Pen, please bring two — one for the class, one for the Nurse’s Clinic.
To the parents of Kindergarten students arriving in Fall 2013:
A new Physical Exam is necessary, dated less than one year from the time of admission. Kindergarten begins on Monday, August 26th. This Exam should be on, or accompanied by, the Virginia Department of Health form MCH 213G. (See the website above for the form). Tip: Print out the MCH213G and hand it to the physician before the physical exam for this year, if possible, so as to avoid an additional charge to complete it out outside the office visit. The Physical must include all the immunizations required by the Commonwealth of Virginia as indicated by the chart on the following website:
Please remember that rising sixth graders or students that are 11 years old are required to receive their Tdap (tetanus booster). This is a Virginia Department of Health requirement. Please provide All Saints Catholic School with proof that your child has received this immunization by August 1, 2013. If your child turns 11 years old during the 2013-2014 school year, please bring in their updated immunization record immediately after they have received their Tdap.
DIVE INTO BOOKS….ALL SAINTS TEAMS UP WITH
BARNES AND NOBLE FOR A
SUMMER BOOK FAIR!!!!
Summer reading is in the air and this year the All Saints School Library will host an exciting Book Fair at the Barnes and Noble store in Manassas on Saturday, June 8th. Join Mrs. Coyle and Mrs. Geary as they surf through books to get you on the big wave of reading for the summer. The library staff will be there from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm to treat and greet! Also, the All Saints displays will be available in the Barnes and Noble store all day long! Do not forget to tell the cashier at the store that you are from All Saints School or parish because a percentage of the net sales will be contributed to the school.
If you are busy on Saturday and cannot attend the Book Fair at Barnes & Noble store….simply go online and use the All Saint Bookfair ID number when you checkout. The Book Fair online dates will be 6/8/13 and will extend to 6/13/13.
Enter the following: BN.COM/bookfairs
Bookfair ID 11113966
All Saints Band Program – June 2nd, 2013
Welcome new players 4th – 7th grade! ~ The 2013 – 2014 All Saints Band Program is hoping to expand the special instrumentation group of instruments in our band. Any student who may wish to play in the Advanced Band on a trombone, baritone, bass clarinet or tenor sax may apply, and the band is making special arrangement for instrument rental/or purchase in order to provide these expensive instruments and possibly some private instruction. Band students who play other instruments may wish to change over and new students in grades 5th – 8th who want to newly join are welcome to reply to Mr. Ward at The3wardsdad@aol.com. Summer is a great time to try new things and then continue in the band next year. The All Saints band has a great reputation, and we hope that, particularly new students, will want to take advantage of the experiences.
Message from the Upcoming PTO president – Angela Slater
Thank-you to Christian Cobb, Current PTO President for her outstanding leadership and endless behind the scenes work. We had a successful year thanks to her leadership and the many, many hard working volunteers who lent their time for fundraiser’s, community builders and teacher and student appreciation activities.
We will be sending out a PTO Ballot for next year’s Executive Board. We have had some great parents step forward. Please participate in the vote for these offices for next year.
Thank-you and I look forward to working with each of you next year,
Catholic High Schools – Activities & Information
Paul VI Catholic High School
- Invitation to 8th grade boys – The Boys Lacrosse Program at Paul VI Catholic High School will be hosting a College Recruiting Forum for our current PVI boys lacrosse players and incoming freshman boys. Parents and siblings are also invited to join us and learn about the college recruiting process for boys lacrosse players. – Please join us in the PVI auditorium on Sunday, June 9 from 6:00-8:00pm. We will be asking attendees to donate $5.00 per person to support the boys lacrosse program’s Operation Warrior Outreach (OWO).. This will be used to help cover the cost of bi-monthly shipments of donated goods to our US troops in Afghanistan. Come out to support the Boy’s Lacrosse Program and feel free to invite any friends who are boys lacrosse players that have an interest in playing lacrosse in college…and may have interest in attending PVI 🙂
- Paul VI Panthers Cross Country team will be having a meeting for rising freshman (boys and girls) on Wednesday June 5th, 2013 at 7pm in the Paul VI cafeteria. Anybody interested in running cross country should attend! If unable to attend, email Coach Gesker (firstname.lastname@example.org) to receive the information that will be distributed at the meeting. Information can also be found in the Monday June 3 issue of the Panther Pressbox.
- For Information about the PVI Summer 2013 Choral Camp for rising 5th – 9th graders and the PVI Summer Band Camp for rising 5th – 9th graders, please click on links at the end of today’s newsletter.
Summer Learning Program
Over the course of the past month the faculty has discussed the merits of a summer learning program. Recognizing that our curriculum during the school year is rigorous and that expectations are high for student learning, there is great value in the children having a respite during the months of summer. On the other hand, studies have shown that students lose ground during the long vacation if not provided an opportunity to keep their skills sharp. With these two perspectives in mind, as in prior years, the teachers have crafted a balanced plan specific for our school. The following is a grade level summary of the Summer Learning Program for 2013.
(Note: Parents should select the summer learning assignments that correspond to the grade that their child will be entering in the fall. For example, a student entering second grade would complete the Summer Book Program for rising 2nd graders. A child entering third grade would complete the assignments outlined below for grades 3-5.)
Grade K Learning packets designed by the Pre-K team will be distributed to parents
Grade 1-2 Summer Book (order SUMMER BOOK for next year’s grade level. For example: students in K will order SUMMBER BOOK for rising 1st graders.)
Ordering Information: Summerbook Company
305 Lyndale Drive
Hartsville, SC 27804
1-877-684-8502 (Toll Free)
Grades 3-5 Math Log & 2 Accelerated Reader Books
(Note: Each student is required to keep a Math log in which they complete 10 hours of work over the course of the summer. Students may refer to our school website for recommended activities and math based websites. After reading two Accelerated Reader books, students are asked to complete the corresponding AR tests upon their return to school. These summer assignments will be due Friday of the first week of school and will be considered part of the first quarter participation grade.)
Grades 6-8 Students are asked to read selections (one book for grade 6/two books for grades 7 & 8) from the Middle School Summer Reading List and complete one of the corresponding follow up activities. Additionally, students are expected to practice math skills for a minimum of thirty minutes per week, using a list of recommended websites and recording time on a log sheet.
(Note: A letter from the middle school team and a detailed overview of assignments are included as links to this week’s newsletter and are available for review on our website. A copy of the recommended reading list will be posted on our school website as well.)
FACTS Tuition Program – Payment Plans for 2013-2014
Those who have not already done so are reminded to respond to the FACTS email invitation by following the step-by-step instructions and enrolling in a tuition plan. The deadline for signing up for all payment plans was May 20th. Should you have any questions about the enrollment process or your tuition balance, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Joyce D’Eugenio, administrative assistant, at 703-393-1490.
END OF YEAR INFORMATION
Cafeteria Program – End of Year Reminders
As we are approaching the end of the school year, please note:
1) Notices of cafeteria payments now due will be sent home with students this week. Families are asked to submit payment for any outstanding balances by May 31st and are encouraged to send in sufficient funds to cover the cost of lunches through the close of the year.
2) Middle school students are not permitted to charge lunch payments during the month of June. If your middle school son/daughter does not have payment for lunch, he or she will receive a bologna & cheese sandwich.
Note: The final day for students to redeem free ice cream cards is Friday, May 31st. Pretzels are no longer available, as the final day for pretzels was Tuesday May 21st.
Thank you for your support of the end of year procedures. Should you have any questions, please contact the cafeteria at 703-368-4400 (ext. 211).
School Supplies Program
It’s that time of year again to start thinking about school supplies for the upcoming 2013-2014 School Year.
If you like convenience then Educational Products Inc. (EPI) has a solution for you. Starting June 1st through June 26th you can order your school supply kits on-line. www.epipacks.com and then enter our school ID #: ALL088. Be sure to select the correct kit(s).
Watch your student’s folders for order forms. Questions can be directed to email@example.com
The expected delivery date for all kits to All Saints School is August 16th. The Kits will then be distributed to your child’s class room.
Seat Sacks, Backpacks, Party favors, and AR prizes (Grades 3 – 6) are not included in EPI’s School supply Kits and must be purchased separately.
Extended Day Program
Extended Day services will continue the next three weeks and be available before and after school through Thursday, June 13th. There will be no Extended Day Program on Friday, June 14th. All students will dismiss at 10:30 a.m. following the Closing Mass & Awards Ceremony. Please make arrangements for your children to be picked up if you anticipate being unavailable at that time.
Report cards and awards will be issued on the final day of school, June 14th. Since the office will have a record of your child’s final grades at the close of the year, you may retain these cards.
All medications must be picked up from the clinic no later than Thursday, June 13th. Since students are not authorized to carry medication, it is necessary for parents to visit the clinic to pick up medications prior to the close of the year. Medications remaining after the final day will be discarded.
Summer Office Hours
The school office will remain open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. during the months of June and August. The office will be closed during the month of July. The office will reopen on Thursday, August 1st. Should you need to contact school personnel during the summer months, please do not hesitate to leave a message on the answering machine. We will make every effort to return your call in a timely manner.
Important Dates for the Upcoming Year
¨ Orientation Day (Students and parents are invited to visit the school, meet new teachers, and pick up supply orders.) – Friday, August 23rd.
¨ 7th Annual Back-to School Barbecue hosted by the PTO – Friday, August 23rd (5:30-7:30 p.m.)
¨ First Day of School ~ Noon Dismissal (Grades K-8) – Monday, August 26th
¨ First Day of Pre-Kindergarten – Wednesday, September 4th
Thursday, June 6th
– Race for Education Dress Down Day Option
– 8th Grade Ice Cream Social (2:00 p.m.)
– Golf Tournament Committee Meeting (2:00 p.m.)
Friday, June 7th
– School Mass & Virtues Ceremony (8:30 a.m.)
– 8th Grade vs. Faculty/Staff Volleyball Game (2:00 p.m.)
Monday, June 10th
– Graduation Day
Pass it On Ceremony (church/9:30 a.m.)
Graduation Breakfast ~ students only (10:00 a.m.)
Walk of Honor (11:15 a.m.)
Mass & Ceremony (7:00 p.m.)
– Brown Bag Lunch Day for Students in Grades 1-7
Tuesday, June 11th
– 2nd Grade Fiesta
– Seniors’ Luncheon hosted by the 5th Grade
Wednesday, June 12th
– Transition Ceremony for Students Entering 6th Grade (8:30 a.m.)
– Kindergarten Luau
Thursday, June 13th
– Kindergarten Graduation (10:00 a.m.)
– End of Year Classroom Parties during afternoon
Friday, June 14th
– Closing Mass & End of Year Awards Ceremony (8:30 a.m.)
– Final Dismissal for Grades 1-7 (10:30 a.m.)
Note: Extended Day Program Not Available
(Note: The PTO will host a reception with cookies and drinks for parents in the courtyard immediately following the Mass & Awards Ceremony. On the final day, parents who will be in attendance for the festivities are asked to park in their assigned carpool sections as we will be having a regular dismissal beginning at 10:30 a.m. The back parking lot will be open for parking for those who will be joining us for the Mass and ceremony.)
- 2013 Golf Tournament Sponsor/Golfer Registration Form: http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/06/2013_Golf_Brochure_BULLETIN.pdf
- School Supply List for the 2013-2014 school year ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=SUPPLIES-LIST-13-14.doc
- All Saints Catholic School/Barnes & Noble Bookfair ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=BANDN-BOOKFAIR-FLYER-11×17-Color.pdf
- Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School e-News ~ http://www.jpthegreat.org/documents/e-NewsUpdate-April-May2013.pdf?utm_source=%22Be+there+for+Boston%22+at+Chick-Fil-A&utm_campaign=Be+Boston+-All+lists&utm_medium=email
- PVI Summer 2013 Choral Camp Flyer & Forms ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=PVI-Choral-Camp-Summer-2013-Registration-Form-2.pdf
- PVI Summer Band Camp Flyer & Forms ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=PVI-Summer-Band-Camp-Forms-2013.pdf