As noted in our last issue of The Sentinel, All Saints is preparing to launch an Annual Fund this fall and we could use your help! We currently have openings for the following volunteer positions:
Grade Level Captains
Responsibilities — assist in getting the word out about the campaign to parents in your selected grade level and encourage participation of gifts of prayer, gifts of participation, and gifts of financial support.
Database/Gift Processing Volunteers
Responsibilities—add incoming gifts of prayer, participation and financial participation to our database, assist in processing offline financial gifts.
Proceeds from the Annual Fund will be used to provide tuition assistance, address technology needs, and advance curriculum initiatives. During our inaugural year, the campaign will be organized into the following divisions: Faculty/Staff Division, Parent Division, Alumni Division, Parents’ of Alumni Division.
We have already heard from parents interested in volunteering to help with the Annual Fund. If you would like to join our team, please contact Mrs. Janis DeVore at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 366-1645. Thanks for your support!
Tomorrow the PTO is sponsoring a FREE Celebrate Calm Parenting Workshop presented by Kirk Martin and his son Casey. Learn practical strategies that work to:
• Develop motivated, responsible children
• Relieve anxiety, sensory issues and sibling fights
• Improve focus, attention, and behavior in school
• Eliminate defiance, disrespect, and power struggles
• Create stress-free mornings, homework time and bedtime
In an effort to make it convenient for all parents to attend the workshop, the PTO has scheduled two presentations for our community. The workshop will be held in the All Saints gym on Thursday, October 4th from 7-9:00 p.m. and Friday, October 5th from 9-10:30am. Reservations are not required. (Note: The presentation on Thursday evening will be preceded by a brief General Assembly PTO Meeting beginning at 6:30 p.m.) As an incentive for parents to attend what promises to be an informative and highly engaging session, parents can earn “double the points” (10 Points!) by attending one of the workshops.
Please invite friends, neighbors and colleagues! Come “Celebrate Calm” with the PTO and All Saints community!
Virtue Program Awards Assembly & Prayer Service
We are pleased to announce and congratulate the following students who were selected by their teachers for having demonstrated Respect & Responsibility throughout the month of September. These students were individually recognized at a ceremony following our school Mass last Friday. In addition to receiving a certificate, each student was presented with a pin which they are invited to wear through the month of October and a note from his/her teacher indicating why they were selected for this special recognition.
Carter R. (PreK-1)
Scott T. (PreK-2)
Robbie G. (PreK-3)
Isabella R. (K-1)
Colin S. (K-2)
Sofia V. (1A)
Isaac F. (1B)
Elizabeth C. (2A)
William W. (2B)
Daniel C. (3A)
Alyssa N. (3B)
Julia W. (4A)
Natalia R. (4B)
Jeffrey R. (5A)
Jacob A. (5B)
Cameron W. (6A)
Lance C.n (6B)
Kaitlyn E. (7A)
Diana G. (7B)
Shannon H. (8A)
Marie T. (8B)
October Virtue of the Month ~ Self Discipline
Students will be encouraged to demonstrate the virtue of self-discipline both at school and home through the following strategies:
1) Follow the rules.
2) Never interrupt someone who is talking.
3) Get into and walk in line without talking.
4) Be responsible for your space in the cafeteria or at the dinner table.
5) Listen attentively to morning and afternoon announcements.
6) Keep your feet and hands to yourself. Never kick or hit anyone.
7) Say only kind words.
8) If you get angry, walk away from the situation until you are calm and can discuss it.
Prayer of the Month
Merciful Lord, let your Holy Spirit guide my life so that my soul may bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Renew my desire to be your faithful friend and servant, increase my loving dependence on you, and grant me that joy and peace of heart which comes from doing your holy will. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
School Calendar Now Available Online!
Courtesy of the PTO, the entire school calendar, including the weekly schedule of after-school activities, is now available online through our school website. As changes occur throughout the year, this digital version will be updated so that you can access this information at any time. Special thanks to Mrs. Julia McGrath for posting all of the additional information and for keeping the calendar current for our community!
Lion’s Club Vision and Hearing Screening
Due to a scheduling change with the Lions’ Club, the annual Vision and Hearing Screening originally planned for October 10th has been postponed until Wednesday, December 5th.
As in previous years, it is only with the support of our parents serving as volunteers that we can successfully run this screening. We need 6 volunteers for the day- which will be starting at 8:00 AM. This is a great opportunity to earn points for parents. If you are able to assist for the hearing and vision screening, please contact Mrs. Roth at email@example.com or 703-368-4400 ext. 207. Thank you for your continued support.
NEEDED: PARENT COORDINATOR FOR LUNCH/RECESS VOLUNTEER.
We are seeking a parent to volunteer and coordinate a schedule for lunch/recess coverage. We have three lunch periods in which we need help with coverage. Along with the coverage we need a parent to volunteer and coordinate a schedule of parent volunteers to cover lunch/recess coverage. The coordinator could earn 60 points for the school year.
The lunch/recess periods are as follows:
3-5 ~ 11:45-12:30
K-2 ~ 12:20 – 1:00
The coordinator does not necessarily have to be present at school to perform this job. Their responsibility would be more of coordinating a schedule and having a process in place. If interested in earning points as a coordinator or a volunteer please notify: Mrs. Campagna at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yearbook Cover Contest
Now is your chance! The yearbook committee is once again hosting the annual Yearbook Cover Contest. The committee is looking for a cover (front & back) that represents the spirit of All Saints Catholic School. Please click on link below for more details.
Running with the Saints 5K Race – Saturday November 3rd
Please join us for All Saints Catholic School’s 2012 Running with the Saints 5K Race on Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 8:30 a.m. Starting at the Harris Pavilion in Old Town Manassas, this certified course will wind through nearby Manassas neighborhoods. Runners and walkers of all ability levels are welcome! Keep an eye for paper registration forms coming home with your student soon. For more information about unique sponsorship opportunities or to register online for the Running with the Saints 5K Race, please visit www.runningwiththesaints.org. Proceeds from this event will benefit All Saints Catholic School
PTO Family Bingo Night
Join us as the PTO presents Family Bingo Night on Saturday, October 20th at 5:00pm at the Knights of Columbus Hall. A link to the flier is located at the bottom of the Newsletter and at the Front Desk.
All Saints Band Parents
We will be placing an order for band shirts, please email any questions and your order with the student’s name, class/teacher, and shirt size to Pam Hardy at email@example.com . See Attached flyer for more details. Final day to submit orders will be Tuesday, October 23rd.
John Paul the Great Events and Invitations for Middle School Students
Open House – November 18, 2012
Learn more about all the GREAT things happening at Pope John Paul the Great Catholic High School by attending their Open House on Sunday, November 18, from 1 – 4pm. (Presentation at 1:15.) Meet the Dominican Sisters, JP students, teachers, and parents while exploring their successful college prep curriculum, Bioethics program, House System, and more. The Open House will conclude with a PEP Rally and House Competition! For more information, please click here or visit www.jpthegreat.org or call 703-445-0300.
More Special Middle School Invitations:
All Middle School students (grades 6 – 8) are invited to participate in these special events hosted just for you! More details to come, but for now, please Save-the-Date!
- Shadow at JP the Great: October – May. Click here for more info!
- Girls Lacrosse Clinic: October 27 & 28 and November 3 & 4. Contact: Coach Erin Dove: Erin.Dove@jpthegreat.org
- JP5K Run/Walk for Options: Support the Special Education Options Program! November 17, 2012. Contact: Megan Battle: Megan.firstname.lastname@example.org or Click here to register!
- Open House: Sunday, November 18, 1 – 4:00pm. Presentation begins at 1:15pm. Click here for more info!
- Free Admission to Wrestling Tournament: December 1. Contact: email@example.com
- 2nd Annual Futsal Tournament: December 8. Contact: Coach Jay Jesse: Jay.Jesse@jpthegreat.org
- Band and Choir Music Festival: January 26. Contact: Music Director, Mrs. Kingett: Kelly.Kingett@jpthegreat.org
- Free Admission to V. Basketball Games: February 14. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Preview Open House: March 14, 4 – 6pm. For Grades 5 – 7 (or anyone!) who wants to preview high school at JP! Contact: email@example.com
Criminal Background Checks for Volunteers & VIRTUS Requirements
As we begin a new year, in accordance with diocesan policy, only those parents who have completed the criminal background check are eligible to volunteer in the school. Those who have not yet completed the background check process may request a packet of forms from the front office.
We are hosting a live Virtus training seminar (the 4-hour training):
Saturday, November 17th at 9:00AM in FKH
The diocese also requires volunteers who have completed the full VIRTUS training to attend an annual update entitled Keeping the Promise Alive. This 30 minutes video training is a prerequisite for volunteering in the school. The following is a list of upcoming sessions. (Please note: For planning purposes, volunteers are asked to confirm their intent to attend a session on the voicemail of Mrs. Janet Smith. 703.393.2158)
We have the following opportunities for completing the half-hour Virtus update:
Tuesday, October 9th at 7:00 PM in the Art Room
Tuesday, November 13th at 7:00PM in the Art Room
Tuesday, December 4th at 7:00PM in the Art Room
We will kick off this year with a fun fall greeting at Ticonderoga Farm. Hay rides, mazes and fun for all. Please click on the flyer linked below for more information. This year the event is being held on Columbus Day, so you will have an entire day to enjoy with your family and school community. We look forward to seeing you all there. Fall is in the air!
Thursday, October 4th
Celebrate Calm Workshop – hosted by the PTO
(Gym/7:00 p.m. with PTO General Assembly Meeting beginning at 6:30 p.m.)
Friday, October 5th
School Mass (8:30 a.m.)
Celebrate Calm Workshop – hosted by the PTO (Gym/9:00 a.m.)
Monday, October 8th
Columbus Day Holiday
Tuesday, October 9th
Gift of Human Sexuality Middle School Parent Presentation (Gym/7:00 p.m.)
Wednesday, October 10th
Lions’ Club Screening – postponed to December 5th
Coming Home with Students Today
– Fall Individual Student Photographs ~ coming home with each student
– Running with the Saints Registration Form ~ coming home with oldest student
– Campbell’s Labels Program Information ~ coming home with oldest student
– BoxTops for Education ~ coming home with each student
– Letter to Sixth Grade Parents ~ coming home with each 6th grade student
– Celebrate Calm Workshop Flyer ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/2012/09/14/celebrate-calm-stop-defiance-yelling-sibling-fights/
– Ticonderoga Farms Spirit Event ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/2012-10-08-Ticonderoga-Farms-2-11.jpg
– Yearbook Cover Contest ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/Yearbook-cover-contest-info-2012-13-2.pdf
– Band Attire/ Band Shirt Information ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/Band-Attire.pdf
– Family Bingo Night Flier ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/October-2012-Flyer.pdf