Living Stones on the Pathway to Heaven…
Message from the Principal
The Knights of Columbus Hall was nearly full on Saturday evening as families gathered for the PTO Bingo Night event. It was a joy to see so many parents and students relaxing and enjoying a time of fellowship and games! I wish to thank our event coordinator, Mrs. Linda Gaynord, for organizing the many details behind the scenes and her husband, Mr. Bill Gaynord, for facilitating the bingo games. I also want to thank the Knight of Columbus for their continued generosity to our school community. Through their hospitality in hosting our Bingo Nights and financial generosity throughout the year, they have shown strong support for the mission of our parish school. On behalf of the families of All Saints Catholic School, thank you George Brent Council!
Several years ago our school began a New Parent Referral Program. Recognizing that the best marketing takes place when parents share the successes of our school with friends and neighbors, we implemented a program to thank and acknowledge families who refer others to our school. I am pleased to announce that nineteen current families participated in this program and will subsequently receive a letter confirming a tuition credit for the 2010-2011 academic year. Thanks to our school families enthusiastically sharing the “good news” of All Saints, our enrollment stands at just over 550, a 5% increase over last year.
On Friday, teachers and administrators will gather for the Diocesan Institute at Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington. This event is an annual day of professional development and prayer for all school employees in our diocese. So that all of our teachers may attend, Friday, October 22nd is a holiday for students at All Saints. Enjoy the long autumn weekend!
Middle School Night ~ 4th & 5th Grade Parents Cordially Invited!
On Thursday, November 4th, All Saints Catholic School will host All Saints Middle School … Explore the Possibilities, a night for 4th & 5th grade parents to learn more about our middle school program. Parents are invited to meet our middle school team and discover the highlights of our curriculum as they tour each classroom. The meeting will begin in the Art Room on the second floor at 7:00 p.m.
Although you and your children are already an important part of our school community, we recognize that you may not be completely familiar with all our middle school has to offer. All Saints’ small, faith-focused learning environment will provide your child with:
- An interactive religious education
- Leadership opportunities
- Academic excellence through a challenging curriculum to help your child excel in high school and beyond
- Technology supported instruction
- Nurturing and welcoming community
- Numerous extracurricular activities
- Opportunities to help others through school-based service projects
This middle school information night will also be open to parents outside of the current school community. To allow us to properly prepare for this event, please RSVP by completing the form below or by emailing Janis DeVore at email@example.com.
Veterans Day Celebration
Join us as our school community honors the commitment of the men and women who have served our country in the United States Armed Forces. We cordially invite all active duty, reserve, former and retired military personnel to attend our school Mass on Wednesday, November 10th at 8:30 a.m. Following the Mass, there will be a ceremony and question/answer session in the Parish Activities Center, followed by a reception for our honored guests in Father Kelley Hall. Students received a packet of information through their classroom teachers last week about our Veterans Wall Display which will further honor military personnel from our school community.
Mark Your Calendars … Don’t forget that the second annual Manassas Veterans Day Parade will take place in Old Town Manassas on Saturday, November 6th at 11:00 a.m. For additional information and the parade route, please visit www.manassasveteransparade.org/.
Annual VIRTUS Training Update
An annual 30-minute review of the warning signs of abuse and the steps we can take to keep our children safe is required for all clergy, employees and any volunteers who have contact with children.
This valuable reminder will be presented on:
- Monday, October 25th in Meeting Room 1 at 7:00 PM.
- Tuesday, November 9th in Meeting Room 2 at 2:15 PM.
If you have any questions, please call Janet Smith in the parish office at (703) 393-2158.
Intellectual Disabilty Awareness Month
Bishop Loverde’s opening remarks at the Commemorative Disabilities Awareness Mass held on October 3rd at St. Thomas More:
We are one flock, one Church, one family of God. Each person is created in God’s image and likeness, yet there are variations in individual abilities. These differences serve only to enhance the richness and the unity of the Body of Christ.
Our defense of life and our repudiation of the culture of death require that we acknowledge and celebrate the dignity and the positive contributions of our brothers and sisters with disabilities. There cannot be and must never be discrimination, disrespect and any other sort of negative attitude. We unequivocally oppose abortion, medical rationing and euthanasia, which are often seen by the society around us as the means of eliminating future involvement with a person who has disabilities. I repeat, respecting life – all of it — encompasses intrinsically our respect and care for persons with disabilities.
Educational & Social Support Programs
- George Mason University LIFE (Learning Into Future Environments) Program
http://masonlife.gmu.edu/ The Mason LIFE Program is an innovative post-secondary program for young adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities who desire a university experience in a supportive academic environment.
- Pope Paul VI Catholic High School Options Program http://www.paulvi.net/Page.aspx?pid=333 The PVI Options Program provides a quality modified inclusive education in a Catholic Christian environment for high school age students with intellectual disabilities.
- Pope John Paul II Catholic High School Options Program http://www.jpthegreat.org/documents/Options_Program_Information_Sept_2010_000.pdf
- St. Mark’s Evangelist Primary Program
- Keyboard for Kids: Alpha Smarts/NEOs (portable keayboards) are loaned to students with identified disabilities. These are available through Diane Elliott with the Office of Catholic Schools:www.neo-direct.ccom/intor.aspx.
Best Buddies Virginia is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. http://www.bestbuddiesvirginia.org/site/c.bgLLI1OIKtF/b.1069107/k.BE38/Home.htm
Living Plant for the Leonard Family
Several students from All Saints decorated two pots to be used as a “Living Plant” for the Leonard Family. The pots contain an assortment of paper flowers and clips that can be used to hold gift and prayer cards. The gift cards may be used by the family when they need a last minute meal or when they are out at their weekly hospital visits. The prayer cards are a sign of all the prayers that are being said for them. While we are also doing the meal train, this will serve as another way for the All Saints community to express their love and support. Since the “living plant” can be refilled, it will be a constant reminder to the Leonard Family that we are there for them during this difficult time.
PTO General Assembly Meeting Tuesday, October 26th, 7:30pm
Earn 5 Points for Parents while you hear the latest on PTO activities; bring an item to donate to the Casino Auction, or purchase your Casino Tickets and receive a chance to win Redskin tickets w/a parking pass! Uniform exchange will be open before the meeting (7:00pm) – get ready for the change to winter uniforms on 11/1! Please see flyer linked to this newsletter for additional information.
Square 1 Art
Square 1 Art catalogs were sent home with the children this week. Your child’s artwork will appear on the front cover of their catalog. In the catalog you’ll find several different products which you can purchase. The products will display your child’s artwork. All orders and payments are due by Friday, 10/29/10. Please send your order and payment (checks payable to All Saints Catholic School) in with your child or leave order at the front office. The order should be sent to attention of Kerry Balagtas. The products are tentatively due to be delivered shortly before Thanksgiving. The products would make great Christmas gifts for friends and families. Any questions should be directed to Kerry Balagtas. Kerry can be reached by phone at 703-365-7327 or by email at Kerryb17@verizon.net. Thank you.
This Week! ~ Come enjoy some fall fun on Friday, October 22nd at Ticonderoga Farm. Since there is no school that day, stop by anytime between 9am-5pm. The discounted cost for All Saints is $7.95 per child and each child receives a free small pumpkin. Please print the flyer and bring it with you to receive the special discounted price. The fun includes hayrides, hillside slides, an Indian teepee village, log cabins, hay forts, live bamboo maze Virginia’s longest swinging bridge, swings, play areas, a small shop of locally produced fall goodies and more. Ticonderoga Farm is located at 26468 Ticonderoga Farm Road in Chantilly Virginia. The phone number is 703 327-4424.
Coming Up! ~ Have fun with the whole family at Chuck-e Cheeses next Thursday, February 25th from 3 to 9 pm. Teachers and staff eat free with a school ID. Each student will receive a sticker from the school redeemable for 10 free tokens. Also, bring your child’s most recent report card and his or her good grades will earn each child up to 15 additional free tokens with any food purchase. Younger siblings can earn free tokens too with online rewards calendars. These and additional everyday coupons are available at http://www.chuckecheese.com. Fifteen percent of the proceeds from the event will be donated to All Saints School. Chuck-e Cheese is located at 7730 Streamwalk Lane, Manassas, near Home Depot off of Balls Ford Road.
Monday, October 25th is Picture Make-Up Day. Students who have not had their picture taken or who need to have their picture retaken may dress up on Monday to have their picture taken. In the event that your child is scheduled to have P.E. on Monday, they may bring in a change of clothes to wear for their picture. Order forms may be found by clicking on the link below.
- John Paul the Great High School Presentation to 8th Grade ~ Thursday, October 21st
- Kindergarten Field Trip to Cows & Corn Farm ~ Thursday, October 21st
- Enrollment Management Team Meeting ~ Thursday, October 21st (7:00 p.m.)
- Diocesan Institute ~ Holiday for Students ~ Friday, October 22nd
- Spirit Activity ~ Ticonderoga Farms ~ Friday, October 22nd (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Picture Make-up Day ~ Monday, October 25th
- Lion’s Club Screening Day ~ Grades 3,5 & 7~ Monday, October 25th (Parents interested in assisting as volunteers are encouraged to contact our school nurse, Mrs. Antunes.)
- PTO General Assembly Meeting ~ Tuesday, October 26th (Gym/7:30 p.m.)
- Gift of Human Sexuality Program ~ Presentation #3 for Middle School ~ Wednesday, October 27th
- End of First Quarter ~ Friday, October 29th
- Penny Bazaar ~ Friday, October 29th (10:30-11:30 a.m.)
- Noon Dismissal (Report Card Prep Day) ~ Friday, October 29th
- Picture Retake Day Order Form ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/10/splendid-picture-order-2010.pdf
- · PTO General Assembly Meeting Flyer ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/10/pto-general-assembly-oct26.pdf
- Chuck-e-Cheese Spirit Event Flyer ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/10/2010-11-11-Chuck-e-Cheese.jpg