Message from the Principal
This week I am pleased to announce that Miss Gahagan, our music teacher, and Mr. John Laird celebrated their wedding on Sunday afternoon. Some of you have actually had an opportunity to meet Mr. Laird as he has been assisting as accompanist during our Friday morning masses and has been involved in productions of the Upper Room Theater Ministry at All Saints. We congratulate both Mr. and Mrs. Laird and wish them many years of joy and blessings!
On Thursday and Friday of this week I will be away on retreat with the principals of the Arlington Diocese. We will gather in West Virginia for two days of prayer, reflection and fellowship. I will, however, return to Manassas in plenty of time for the PTO sponsored Bingo Night at the Knights’ Hall on Saturday evening beginning at 5:00 p.m. Thank you to those families who have already confirmed their attendance for this special event. Those interested in learning more about Bingo Night and those would still like to RSVP are encouraged to contact Mrs. Linda Gaynord at 703-393-1430.
Next week the Student Council Association has planned a number of special events in support of our school-wide celebration of Red Ribbon Week, an annual opportunity for our students to take a stand against drug and alcohol abuse. Please see the accompanying flyer for more information about this weeklong event, including a dress down day scheduled for Wednesday, October 20th. Thank you to the SCA for all of their efforts in encouraging our students to live drug free!
Family Directories 2010-2011
Copies of the new Family Directory were distributed to the oldest child in each family today. In the event that you do not receive one, please contact Mrs. Kruppa at the front desk. Again, this year the document was printed by J.M. Gaske through the financial support of local businesses. When seeking local services, please take a moment to consider those companies that have shown support for our school by purchasing an advertisement in this annual publication. We also wish to thank Mrs. Bruno and Mrs. D’Eugenio for again collaborating on the design and layout, resulting in a first-class directory for our families.
All Saints Students Participate in Annual Track Event!
Congratulations to the following students who participated in the CYO track meet held two weeks ago at Falls Church High School. Fifteen students from the school entered the event with our students in 3rd and 4th grade winning 4th place overall. The following are some of the highlights from this year’s event:
Noah H. (4th grade). 1st in 55m dash, 1st in 200m dash
Skyler M. (3rd grade). 1st in Long Jump, 2nd in 200m dash, 1st in 55m dash.
Mary A. & Abby S. (3rd Grade). Tied for 4th in 55 dash
Sophia C.(3rd grade). 6th in 55m dash.
3rd Grade Girls – 5th place in 4×100 meter relay (Sophia C., Lily Grace C., Christina N., Skyler Mo.)
3rd Grade Mixed Relay – 4th place in 4×100 meter relay (Patrick B., Joshua D., Abigail S., Mary A.)
4th grade Boys – 4th place in 4×100 meter relay (John T., James H.)
The next CYO track event will be a cross-country meet tentatively scheduled for the first Sunday of November at Burke Lake Park. 3rd/4th grade is a 1K race. 5th/6th is a 2K race and 7/8 is a 3K race. Practices are Sundays from 1-2pm at Metz Middle School for month of October. If interested come to an upcoming practice or e-mail Coach Cathy Nowak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
October Virtue of the Month ~ Self Control
Students will be encouraged to demonstrate the virtue of self-control both at school and home through the following strategies:
1) Follow the rules.
2) Never interrupt someone who is talking.
3) Get into and walk in line without talking.
4) Be responsible for your space in the cafeteria or at the dinner table.
5) Listen attentively to morning and afternoon announcements.
6) Keep your feet and hands to yourself. Never kick or hit anyone.
7) Say only kind words.
8) If you get angry walk away from the situation until you are calm and can discuss it.
Prayer of the Month
Merciful Lord, let your Holy Spirit guide my life so that my soul may bear the fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, trustfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Renew my desire to be your faithful friend and servant, increase my loving dependence on you, and grant me that joy and peace of heart which comes from doing your holy will. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.
Veterans Day Celebration
Join us as our school community honors the commitment of the men and women who have served our country in the United States Armed Forces. We cordially invite all active duty, reserve, former and retired military personnel to attend our school Mass on Wednesday, November 10th at 8:30 a.m. Following the Mass, there will be a ceremony and question/answer session in the Parish Activities Center, followed by a reception for our honored guests in Father Kelley Hall. Students received a packet of information through their classroom teachers last week about our Veterans Wall Display which will further honor military personnel from our school community.
Mark Your Calendars … Don’t forget that the second annual Manassas Veterans Day Parade will take place in Old Town Manassas on Saturday, November 6th at 11:00 a.m. For additional information and the parade route, please visit www.manassasveteransparade.org/.
Spirit News ~ Coming Up!
Come enjoy some fall fun on Friday, October 22nd at Ticonderoga Farm. Since there is no school that day, stop by anytime between 9am-5pm. The discounted cost for All Saints is $7.95 per child and each child receives a free small pumpkin. Please print the flyer and bring it with you to receive the special discounted price. The fun includes hayrides, hillside slides, an Indian teepee village, log cabins, hay forts, live bamboo maze Virginia’s longest swinging bridge, swings, play areas, a small shop of locally produced fall goodies and more. Ticonderoga Farm is located at 26468 Ticonderoga Farm Road in Chantilly Virginia. The phone number is 703 327-4424.
Intellectual Disabilities Awareness Month
Sports and the Arts
PVI and Fairfax Special Olympics host events from dances to soccer to baseball games for the intellectually disabled in our area.
- Upcoming Special Olympics Event at PVI: October 18, 2010: PVI “Under the Lights” Special Olympics Invitational Soccer Tournament for more information please contact Mrs. Chris Desmarais at 703 352-0925 Ext 333 or email email@example.com or visit them on the web at www.paulvi.net/academics/options.
- Upcoming events with the Fairfax Special Olympics: Oct. 23 — Are you FAN enough to go Over the Edge for Special Olympics?! Over the Edge Richmond invites the truest of fans to rappel 25 stories (almost 400 feet!) from the roof of the SunTrust Center in downtown Richmond to the sidewalk below. For more information, visitwww.OverTheEdgeVA.com. Oct. 30 — Grab a disc and join us for the first Hill City Disc Golf Invitational at Peaks View Park. Registration is $20; proceeds benefit Special Olympics. Find out more about the Fairfax Special Olympics at www.specialolympicsva.org
ArtStream is an organization based in the DC Metropolitan area whose mission is to create artistic opportunities for individuals with intellectual disabilities. Artstream events and classes can be found on www.art-stream.org, (301) 565-4567 (Washington, DC), location 620 Pershing Dr., Silver Spring, MD 20910.
- Upcoming Events for ArtStream include auditions for the Silver Spring Inclusive Theatre being held on 10/26.
- PTO Bingo Night ~ Saturday, October 16th (Knights’ Hall/5:00 p.m.)
- PTO sponsored Red Ribbon Week ~ Monday, October 18th (see flyer for details)
- Gift of Human Sexuality Program – Presentation #2 to Middle School Students ~ Wednesday, October 20th
- SCA Red Ribbon Dress Down Day (Jeans & Red) ~ Wednesday, October 20th
- John Paul the Great High School Presentation to 8th Grade ~ Thursday, October 21st
- Kindergarten Field Trip to Cows & Corn Farm ~ Thursday, October 21st
- Enrollment Management Team Meeting ~ Thursday, October 21st (7:00 p.m.)
- Diocesan Institute ~ Holiday for Students ~ Friday, October 22nd
- Spirit Activity ~ Ticonderoga Farms ~ Friday, October 22nd (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
Coming home with oldest child
- 2010-2011 School Directory (one per family)
ø Ticonderoga Farm Spirit Event Flyer ~ http://www.allsaintsvaschool.org/index/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2010/10/2009-10-22-Ticonderoga-Farms.jpg
ø Manassas Veterans Day Parade ~ www.manassasveteransparade.org/