Welcome to Mrs. Nichols’ Class
Dear 1B Parents,
We celebrated the end of our unit on nonfiction texts by reading our books to the kindergartners today! Who knew that skunks, flies, Albert Einstein and garbage could be so interesting! Hopefully, you’ve noticed that we’ve been practicing reading our books “with drama” and lots of interest and expression. (Rereading our nightly books will help with that. Our focus in the next weeks will be fluency in reading.) In math, we’ll continue working on the challenging concept of comparing two groups by subtracting (how many more/less than) before we move onto our focus on geometric figures.
In tomorrow’s Friday folder there will be information about the math “skill drills” that will begin next week, as well as our upcoming 100th Day of School. Please also read the weekly Sentinel for school-wide news.
Next week, we will focus on the following areas:
- Reading — Long “a” combinations — “a__e”; “ai” “ay” . Begin new Units of Study, “Readers Have Big Jobs to Do” (fluency, phonics and comprehension)
- Writing —informative writing about the topics of our nonfiction texts.
- Math – word problems comparing two groups; chapter test and cumulative review
- Religion — Conclusion of our “Family Tree of Jesus” project
- Science — daily and seasonal changes in weather; temperature
Below are your child’s words for the week:
Purple: short “a” “i” and “e” vowels with beginning digraphs
thick chick shell whiz check thin them shin chip whip when ship
Yellow: short “e” “o” and “u” vowels with beginning blends
truck drug plug drum cross dress bled drop sled club trot fret
Orange: short vowels with ending blends
think want trunk thank drink stand blend spent blank plant stink print
Green: short “u” versus “u__e” with oddball
huge jump hunt shut tube tune such club June rude flute put
Monday, January 21 — Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday
Thursday, January 24 — Reading Celebration, 2:00
Thursday, January 24 — MASS — St. Francis deSalles
Sunday, January 27 — Catholic School Week begins
Enjoy the snow!!
Mrs. Nichols and Mrs. Heiny
- Monday: P.E. 11:00 – 11:30
- Tuesday: P.E. 11:00 – 11:30; Spanish 2:10 – 2:50
- Wednesday: Library – 11:00 – 11:40
- Thursday: Art – 9:45 – 10:30
- Friday: Music – 11:45 – 12:30