Welcome to Mrs. Nichols’ Class
Dear 1B Parents,
We had lots of special visitors today in 1B, beginning with the . . . worms! As we wrapped up our unit on plants and insects, we added those decomposers (which are not insects). The children donned gloves, observed them, picked them up and watched some do somersaults before we released them to the rose garden.
Can you believe it was our very last Reading Celebration of the year? A very big thanks to all of our parents who made it in to share some books with the children throughout the year. It was always a much-anticipated event, and you modeled a love of reading to our young readers.
BUT, it’s not the end! We have a very special reading event for you on Wednesday, June 5 at 9:00. Our first graders will be able to show you how they have grown as readers! We hope you can join us!
Here are our goals for next week:
- Reading/language arts — Continue the study of fiction and character development; begin long “u” vowel patterns (u__e; ew; oo); continiue Mr. Popper’s Penguins novel study; Readers’ Theater
- Math -capacity (cups, quarts, gallons: begin weight.
- Religion — May virtue of responsibility and St. Peter; the Trinity
- Science — begin study of the body, with a focus on the digestive system.
- Homework — Monday through Wednesday: Word Study Tic Tac Toe; read a book 2 – 3 times. Thursday: Word study practice test; read a book 2 – 3 times.
Math homework — as assigned throughout the week. Worksheets will be in your child’s blue folder. Your children will write workbook pages, when given, in their assignment books.
Below are your child’s words for the next week:
Purple: short and long vowel review with oddballs
wipe which race vote drip have gum tide cape skin wax done
Yellow: short “a” and long “a” patterns (“ai” “a__e” with oddball
flash frame said tail camp chain want faint main train blame rash
Orange: short “e” and long “e” patterns (“ea” “ee” short “ea” with oddball
beach breath sweet sled steam great bread street east queen head when
Green: long “oo” short “oo” oddball
roost soot would wool proof stool brook should hoop route troop hook
Friday May 17 — Noon dismissal; band trip
Wednesday, May 22 — School Mass
Friday, May 24 — Field day
Monday, May 27 — Memorial Day
Thursday, May 30 — International Day (If you would like to participate or send in items from your country or food items, please fill out the flyer sent home. Thank you!)
Wednesday, June 5 — First Grade special Reading Celebration! 9:00
Friday, June 7 — 8th grade graduation, noon dismissal
- Monday: P.E. 11:00
- Tuesday: P.E. 11:00 – 11:30; Spanish 2:10 – 2:50
- Wednesday: Library – 11:00 – 11:40
- Thursday: Art – 9:45 – 10:30
- Friday: Music – 11:45 – 12:30